Shinlai Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is the Forum for the Deviantart Group; The Shinlai Community

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog inBack to dA
It's nearly spring! New growth, fresh flowers and light! Speaking of light, enjoy the new Dalia theme!
SILAS RULES DAILAH DROOLS!!
A big thank you to Toadfoal and Alana for the images of Silas, and to Mingo for making the new layout.

Sulphur Soup

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Selousi
Friend of Adlai
Selousi

Sulphur Soup Empty
PostSubject: Sulphur Soup   Sulphur Soup EmptyMon Sep 02, 2013 4:36 pm

Hi!! Anyone can join in but I'm predicting this is probably gonna be somewhat violent. So if you join you have to be willing to have the possibility of your shinlai getting badly wounded or your humans. But no death!! Don't worry.
--
Tuk fizzled with an intense heat, dragging his feet along the ground as he huffed with his nose to the ground. It was several years ago that your dear, sweet, little sister disappeared from the grasp of you and your father but you were certain that the wretch was still alive. Emitting a low growl, you considered the fact that she had perhaps decided to side with them. She was always more of your mothers pupil. Both of them--Worthless trash in your eyes. Since your father was killed in a fight you swore to find the existing members of your family. You bore a grudge on them that lead you furiously through paths and cities and towns of all kinds. Now that you finally had a lead, you had an idea of where to go and where she might be.
It was time for a little action, for once, you were tired of acting hospitable to all these damned humans and shinlai in the calmer places of Elaisha. You rose your head to the air, snorting off any dirt that might still have been clinging to your face. You were here, this was it. You had the gut feeling that she was going to be around and you intended to kill. You exhaled, fire trimming the corners of your mouth in an excited bloodlust. You were ready. You were ready to murder what you expected to be Dailan scum. With every footstep you bore your anger into the ground, singing the dirt and the grass as you went on. You eyed the sign for the mask shop ecstatically. How lovely would it to see the wood burn, churning up black smoke and red fire, beautiful. You rapped on the large gate with a single paw, methodically and with commanding purpose.
Back to top Go down
http://alphacortezi.tumblr.com
Kaylex
Friend of Silas
Kaylex

Sulphur Soup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sulphur Soup   Sulphur Soup EmptyMon Sep 02, 2013 4:55 pm

((Entering with Agate Tuzoir/age 35/Neutral but leans Dalian)
---
Another Shinlai was already in the city, following the same lead. The brown shinlai's fur bristled with excitement. He was the youngest of the siblings and he'd grown a lot since Selousi'd seen him last. He was no longer the tiny pup with the abusive father but had instead grown into an adult with a kind heart. He paused in the streets with a sudden realization. He had no idea what in the world to say to her. His purple eyes widened behind his mask. What would even be appropriate? "Gee thanks for leaving me with our abusive father and jerk of a brother?" No, no... he'd have to be glad to see her. After all he went through all the trouble to seek her out.

Last edited by Kaylex on Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Selousi
Friend of Adlai
Selousi

Sulphur Soup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sulphur Soup   Sulphur Soup EmptyMon Sep 02, 2013 5:03 pm

Selo hummed, uprooting a few specimens for her garden at home; today was a wonderful day! The sky was clear, the weather wasn't too humid and Oh bby it was a wonderful time to work on the outside of her and Laila's craft shop. She dipped her head down once again before smelling something peculiar. On that note, she lifted up and shoved what she collected in the bag at her side and proceeded to follow the scent. Something smelled like it was burning, and odd enough, she kept finding dead grass and blackened soil in the shape of shinlai footprints. Perhaps someone was visiting the shop for something? But it seemed awfully reckless to step with such heat. Maybe they were still learning to control their element.
She trotted into the small town, following the footsteps and the path she knew very well.
Back to top Go down
Kaylex
Friend of Silas
Kaylex

Sulphur Soup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sulphur Soup   Sulphur Soup EmptyMon Sep 02, 2013 5:24 pm

Inside the shop, Laila looked up from the mask she was working on. Polished wood, unpainted, with gems set into it. She looked up at the wall above her where her very first practice mask hung. Twine had been harsh about it. This one was yet another version of it, showing just how far she'd come. Carved with intricate detail and a careful hand.

Then the burning hit her nostrils. Her eyebrows pushed together in confusion. She hadn't left anything in the kiln. The girl put down her tools and went from her workbench to the front of the shop. Nobody in here? She decided to hang up her apron and go outside.
Back to top Go down
Selousi
Friend of Adlai
Selousi

Sulphur Soup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sulphur Soup   Sulphur Soup EmptyMon Sep 02, 2013 6:12 pm

Tuk immediately met her with a hard gaze. A human, how despicable. He lowered his own head down to her level and breathed a harsh smelling puff of smoke. With his gravely voice he hissed out a demand,
"Where is Selousi."
--
Trotting at a rhythmic pace, Selo looked in every which direction, looking for any shinlai that might be in the area. It couldn't be that hard, could it? After all her own species had a tendency to be a bit on the tall side; excluding herself of course. A small bit away she finally noticed another of her kind. His fur was a cinnamon sort of brown and he looked somewhat younger than her.
"Hello!" She shouted out to him, "Are you maybe looking for something?"
Back to top Go down
Kaylex
Friend of Silas
Kaylex

Sulphur Soup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sulphur Soup   Sulphur Soup EmptyMon Sep 02, 2013 6:44 pm

Laila coughed violently as the smoke swirled about her face. Her eyes stung. She flapped a hand in the air in a sorry attempt to get it away. "I-" a cough, "don't-" another cough, "know!" she exclaimed. She knew the body language of a Shinlai well by now. He wasn't showing the relaxation she was used to from Selousi. "But if you just calm down and wait, she'll be back at a later point today. In the mean time perhaps I could interest you in some mask work?" Yes, her mind said, be kind. Diffuse his rage.
---
"Oh!" Agate gasped. He stared at her a moment. She'd changed a little, smelled a little different too. He still recognized those eyes though. So much kinder than the rest of their family. He felt his breath whoosh from his lungs. "Selousi!" he said in a quiet voice.
Back to top Go down
Selousi
Friend of Adlai
Selousi

Sulphur Soup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sulphur Soup   Sulphur Soup EmptyMon Sep 02, 2013 7:11 pm

Tuk gave a relatively toothy grin, blowing rings of smoke in the air after raising his head again. This one was pretty brave for being a two legged runt. He couldn't help but cackle a bit, but after a minute or so of the condescending grin his facial expression turned into a deep frown.
'She isn't here. Damn' He thought to himself, taking a couple steps back and sitting down.
"When do you approximate that she'll be back. I have business with her that I need to get done." He said in a somewhat hushed tone, trying to keep his temper.
--
Her eyes widened, looking into his amethyst colored eyes. She stood there gazing up at him for a short bit until gawking and managing to mutter his name in surprise. She perked up and pranced about a bit, making a circle around him.
"Agate! You.. You're alive!" Selo bellowed excitedly.
Back to top Go down
Kaylex
Friend of Silas
Kaylex

Sulphur Soup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sulphur Soup   Sulphur Soup EmptyMon Sep 02, 2013 7:17 pm

Continuing to cough, Laila grabbed the edge of her vest and pulled it over her nose and mouth. She squinted through the smoke. "I think she went out in the town," she replied in a very muffled voice. She was trying not to inhale. "Follow the path from here and you may run into her. If not-" She had to pause to choke on some air. "Check back around supper time in a few hours."
---
Agate pursed his lips in a tight smile, trying not to cry. He was so happy. He just couldn't believe he'd found her. He watched as she circled and lost himself to the joy at last. He shifted his weight on his feet, rocking back and forth. "Yes! And so are you! I can't believe it! It's been forever and I've been trying to find you and I can't believe it!" His words were a bit muddled from his enthusiasm.
Back to top Go down
Selousi
Friend of Adlai
Selousi

Sulphur Soup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sulphur Soup   Sulphur Soup EmptyMon Sep 02, 2013 7:23 pm

"Much obliged" Tuk growled, before flicking his tail to the side and turning to walk away. He paused for a quick moment and glanced backwards. "What's your relation with her..?" He attempted in a calmer tone.
--
Selousi brushed up, leaning slightly against Agate's hide. She was so glad to have part of her family back-and the sane part too! She forced down the giddy laughter and pranced about in place before asking a question.
"So what have you been up to? I'm sure you've been around Elaisha plenty by now!"
Back to top Go down
Kaylex
Friend of Silas
Kaylex

Sulphur Soup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sulphur Soup   Sulphur Soup EmptyMon Sep 02, 2013 7:37 pm

She seemed surprised by the question. It took her a moment to realize he was probably new to the town. He seemed to be relaxing a bit more. Thank goodness for casual conversation! "Oh, uh, she's my partner of sorts? She and I are mask makers. We moved shop here from our forest a while back," She took a mental note not to ramble. "In short, we've been together a long time and we make and repair and design Shinlai masks."
---
The younger Lai shrugged his shoulders. "Been traveling. Mostly looking for you and avoiding our...unsavory...family. It got messy after you left-" He looked to the ground. "Not that I blame you! Quite the contrary I blame our father, if you can even call him that, for everything. Oh er...not that I'm resentful. I mean I've got a few burns but-" He heaved a sigh and stopped himself. He spared her a sad smile. "I'm not very good at explanations. Sorry Selousi."

The shinlai wriggled his spotted rump like an excited puppy. "But that's beside the point! The world's a big place. I've met all kinds of people." He gestured with his head by lowering it so she could see. "Even got a proper mask now. Oh what was her name...Laila I think? That was a while back but I still wear it. Gotta keep myself looking nice!" He stopped to chuckle. "Maybe I'll learn how to bundle up my tail. Cursed weeping fur drags everywhere!"
Back to top Go down
Selousi
Friend of Adlai
Selousi

Sulphur Soup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sulphur Soup   Sulphur Soup EmptyMon Sep 02, 2013 7:48 pm

Selo grinned at the speak of travel, oh how she wished she was outgoing enough to try and explore the world. She stood, taking in all he could say, curling the corners of her mouth at the mention of her father and the burns they had both sustained through being with that awful lai. She perked up once again at the mention of Laila, after all, they worked together!
"Ah! Laila is my work partner! We make masks together.. It's been something we've done for the past year or so. We moved here after we got a bit better so Oh bby  we could get better business," she cleared her throat quickly and continued, "But if you have an issue with your tail dragging around, maybe you should braid it?"
She looked at her own tail, much different from his, but akin to her mothers.
"I guess I never really had that issue," She chuckled, "That must sort of suck!"
--
Inb4 Tuk headin to wreck EB: Beep, this word is censored..
Back to top Go down
Kaylex
Friend of Silas
Kaylex

Sulphur Soup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sulphur Soup   Sulphur Soup EmptyMon Sep 02, 2013 8:10 pm

He shook his head, clearing it of thoughts of their parents. It didn't matter. Both of them were far away where they'd never cause either himself or Selousi problems again. He lifted his head high in surprise at the explanation of Laila. "Wow, small world!" he exclaimed. "Maybe you could show me your shop? I've taken good care of it but she might be interested in seeing how nicely it's held up. 'Sides I wouldn't mind talking to her again. She was nice to me after all."

Agate glanced back at his tail and nodded. "Weeping tails are a pain. Too nice to cut though. Just grows right back in. Braiding it sounds...good." He paused. "Oh! Maybe I could use my vines to help. Oh wait, you don't know my element stuff! Oh Selousi I've gotten good at it." He tried to curb his enthusiasm.
Back to top Go down
Wyco
Friend of Vera
Wyco

Sulphur Soup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sulphur Soup   Sulphur Soup EmptyMon Sep 02, 2013 9:09 pm

hey do you mind if I join? I've been hoping the contest would bring some action to the forum
Back to top Go down
Selousi
Friend of Adlai
Selousi

Sulphur Soup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sulphur Soup   Sulphur Soup EmptyMon Sep 02, 2013 10:00 pm

((Yeah feel free to))
--
"Ah, I'd be delighted to!" She said blissfully, " Do you mind showing me how you work with your element? I'm sure you're a lot better than me, I have a lot of trouble honing mine."
She smiled sheepishly and looked down. It was somewhat embarrassing to be the older of them and yet still have issues controlling her abilities.
Back to top Go down
Kaylex
Friend of Silas
Kaylex

Sulphur Soup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sulphur Soup   Sulphur Soup EmptyMon Sep 02, 2013 11:46 pm

"Of course!" he said. Agate at least had the common sense to not tell her the reason he'd become so good was through desperate practice. It was the only way to escape their brother and father. It didn't stop the burns but it helped. Plus tangling feet up seemed to help.

He allowed the earth to rumble about his feet. A crack opened in the ground and from it sprouted a plant, springing forth from its dormant state. The shinlai manipulated it and it seemed to accelerate, thickening and winding up his leg. It knotted in on itself until it created a woven bracer of sorts then disconnected from the dirt. The roots interwove with the rest, creating a darker pattern along the bottom.

Agate swept a paw over the hole in the ground to fill it in with the remaining soil. He held his foreleg up for her to view. "Small bit of it. Don't want to overturn too much of the area around us."
Back to top Go down
Andeva
Friend of Hekili
Andeva

Sulphur Soup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sulphur Soup   Sulphur Soup EmptyMon Sep 02, 2013 11:54 pm

-Entering with Antissa Adelian (Air/age 48/Dalian) and Balsa Rivenwood (Earth/age 73/Dalian) -

--

"Are we there yet?!" Antissa said with a sigh. "We have been walking for some time now."
Balsa walk ahead of her trying to ignore her cousins constant complaining. Antissa was fairly new to travel and was quite impatient. Balsa however has been traveling Elaisha since she was a pup.
"The city is close, there we can replenish our supplies and rest safely." said Balsa. "I hear there is a mask shop here, we could also get our gear repaired."

Coming up to the small city Balsa noticed burn marks on the road and stopped. Antissa prance ahead to the city happy to see civilization. The scent of burning was weak but noticeable. Balsa examine the burns that looked to be footprints heading into the city.

"This doesn't seem right" said Balsa. Antissa stop and turn back to her. "Perhaps we should go elsewhere?" said Antissa with a worried expression as the notice the footprints, she wasn't one to get involved in conflict.
"No, we will find the reasoning for this, someone may be in trouble. This area is full of Darkbloods after all." said Balsa growing softly.
They follow the path into the city, Balsa was not afraid, but Antissa on the other hand was. Balsa had been fighting her entire life and was exceptionally good at it.

Approaching a pair of Shinlai standing in the street talking, Balsa was cautious even though they did not appear to be the ones creating the burns.
"Excuse us but we are looking for the mask shop" said Balsa still walking toward them. "Don't be rude, they are having a conversation for Daila's sake Balsa!" said Antissa quietly so only Balsa would hear. "I don't think they heard me anyways." said Balsa with a snort toward Antissa as they watch the male begin to use his Earth element.
Back to top Go down
http://aydenna.deviantart.com/
Selousi
Friend of Adlai
Selousi

Sulphur Soup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sulphur Soup   Sulphur Soup EmptyWed Sep 04, 2013 10:24 pm

Selo's eyes glittered in awe Oh bby  at the display her brother showed off. She le Oh bby aned in and turned her head every which way to look at the brace he had created out of plants.
"That's AMAZING!" She blurted out, grinning like a child arriving at the gates of disneyworld. She breathed heavily and snorted a laugh for a few seconds before realizing that she and her brother had company. She swallowed the noises in a blunt gulp and slowly turned her Oh bby  head to face the two. Standing there in an awkward silence, she cleared her throat a bit before backing up, standing behind her brother and lowering her head in embarassment Oh bby . In a hushed whisper she whispered compliments to Agate, apologizing for her timid nature as well.
Back to top Go down
Andeva
Friend of Hekili
Andeva

Sulphur Soup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sulphur Soup   Sulphur Soup EmptyWed Sep 04, 2013 10:56 pm

Balsa walk to the pair of Shinlai before asking once more.

"Which way would the mask shop be, we are looking to get a few items repaired." ask Balsa trying to be polite.
"Also do you know anything about these footprints?" Balsa gestured towards the burn marks in the streets.

Antissa standing beside Balsa happily, she was still excited about getting to the city so they could rest.
Back to top Go down
Kaylex
Friend of Silas
Kaylex

Sulphur Soup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sulphur Soup   Sulphur Soup EmptyWed Sep 04, 2013 11:23 pm

Agate shifted his weight again. Foot to foot. Nervous energy bristled through his fur. "Thanks!" he exclaimed to Selousi proudly. A heat flushed into his face such as a human's blush. When the new Shinlai took up attention in the conversation, he immediately fell into his normal outgoing behavior again. Ever the spokesman and conflict mediator, he gave Balsa and Antissa a warm, friendly grin.

"My sister here works there," he said. But then the mood shifted. His eyes went to the burned footprints. Memories whooshed by but he dismissed them. There was just no way.
Back to top Go down
Selousi
Friend of Adlai
Selousi

Sulphur Soup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sulphur Soup   Sulphur Soup EmptyWed Sep 04, 2013 11:53 pm

Selo leaned against her brother to attempt to relieve some anxiety from the both of them and promptly stepped forward. She looked back and forth from the two mugs and opened her mouth to speak.
"It's true that I work there but I really have to give most of the credit to my partner Laila. She does a lot of the handiwork, since I'm not incredibly good with my element or my feet. She's very skilled."
She dipped her head and gave them a blissful smile.
"I do hope you like what you find, though.
Back to top Go down
Andeva
Friend of Hekili
Andeva

Sulphur Soup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sulphur Soup   Sulphur Soup EmptyThu Sep 05, 2013 12:02 am

Balsa smile softly yet reluctantly, she was not very socially polite.

"Perhaps you could show us the way." said Balsa ready to follow her. "My name is Balsa and this is my cousin Antissa." Balsa said gesturing to Antissa who just smile.
"Hopefully we could find a place to stay as well." said Antissa.
Back to top Go down
Selousi
Friend of Adlai
Selousi

Sulphur Soup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sulphur Soup   Sulphur Soup EmptyFri Sep 06, 2013 2:08 pm

"Ah! I'd be delighted to! It's actually just a little north from here. Probably like a two or three minute walk. " She gestured with a shaky paw.
"I can take you there if you'd really like!"
She stood, glancing back and forth at the two, contemplating what they might buy or what they needed fixed. She looked down at her feet again and away from their onlooking faces.
"And I think there's an inn not too far out, it's more into the forest though. It's really nice."
--
Tuk growled impatiently, sitting nearly on the doorstep with his back perfectly straight and his face forwards. His posture imitated that of the most elegant statues. Completely still and completely focused, only stopping to blink occasionally. For a moment he stretched his claws out, digging tiny trails into the soil around the entrance of the craftery.
Finally swinging his neck to the left he decided to deroot and burn some small flowers in one paw, creating a very raw smell of burning charcoal.
Back to top Go down
Andeva
Friend of Hekili
Andeva

Sulphur Soup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sulphur Soup   Sulphur Soup EmptySun Sep 08, 2013 11:55 pm

"You can show us the way, since you do work there after all." said Balsa beginning to walk in the direction the small Shinlai gestured to.
"Yes, perhaps we can commission a couple new mask as well" said Antissa glancing towards Balsa who had stopped.
Balsa had become distracted by a scent in the air.

"Does anyone else smell something burning" Balsa asked, looking back at everyone with a concerned look.
"I smell it too, smells sorta like burning coals..." said Antissa worryingly.
Back to top Go down
Kaylex
Friend of Silas
Kaylex

Sulphur Soup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sulphur Soup   Sulphur Soup EmptySun Sep 08, 2013 11:58 pm

Agate's fur bristled. The smoke him all at once. His pupils shrank in terror. He stiffened. "L-let's hurry over to the mask shop," he agreed. He started to move without even knowing the way. Surely Selousi would follow then take up the lead? Anything to move. Anything to get out of that smell. He and fire were no longer on good terms.
Back to top Go down
Selousi
Friend of Adlai
Selousi

Sulphur Soup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sulphur Soup   Sulphur Soup EmptyMon Sep 09, 2013 12:07 am

Tuk raised the plants to his maw, clinging to them between his toes. He breathed a sturdy blow onto them to ignite the flames more and watched them shrink into ash. He didn't mind the heat or the slight burn of the fire. He was all too used to it at this point. It had actually become a bit soothing for him to feel it. It made him feel so.. alive.
He bore his teeth, pressing the remainder into the dirt and digging his claws into the ground.
In the near distance he spotted several shinlai headed to the shop. The corners of his mouth twitched, soon rising into a twisted smile. He found himself unconsciously rising and taking large steps forward, bristling his fur and lowering his neck in an aggressive stature. With each step he could feel a fire burning within him. As soon as he caught sight of his younger sister and to his surprise and excitement his brother as well, he was frothing with heat at the mouth.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Sulphur Soup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sulphur Soup   Sulphur Soup Empty

Back to top Go down

Sulphur Soup
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Shinlai Community :: Grab your masks, it's RP time :: The Village-
Jump to: