Shinlai Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is the Forum for the Deviantart Group; The Shinlai Community

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog inBack to dA
It's nearly spring! New growth, fresh flowers and light! Speaking of light, enjoy the new Dalia theme!
SILAS RULES DAILAH DROOLS!!
A big thank you to Toadfoal and Alana for the images of Silas, and to Mingo for making the new layout.

Catching Gold

Go down 
2 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Toadfoal
Friend of Adlai
Toadfoal

Catching Gold - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Catching Gold   Catching Gold - Page 3 EmptyTue Oct 11, 2011 11:10 pm

"Sounds lovely."
"I am so glad you think so."
Tom thought he might have seen her blush, and his smile widened as he helped pull her to her feet. It was unfortunately tempting not to go back towards the hotel at all, but his mind had been made up. He would not be at ease until he was sure Delores could have no victories on his watch. As long as the game was afoot, there was no option but to win. Besides, he'd tricked girls countless times just for the fun of it. The idea that he could do this again as what he considered a heroic act for his new friend Ruan was indeed appealing.

Before he had a chance to question any of this, or before Ruan could changer her mind, Tom swiftly began his descent back to the ground, taking less caution going down than he had coming up. There was no point in picking up the torn sleeves of his shirt, so Tom left those behind, but he did pull his boots back on. Never did he carry such an array of weapons as Ruan, but there was a little knife pocketed within the right shoe which he liked to have around. Since he'd gotten it only three or so years prior, he'd even named the thing, just for fun. The boots themselves also held some sentimental value. As he slipped them on, he peeked a glance just to see his name written on the inside. Tom White.
"Oh, the glory of having a name!" He chuckled, glancing back to make sure Ruan wasn't going anywhere while he descended the ladder back onto solid ground.

Unfortunately, at the moment his feet hit the ground, Tom realized that he didn't remember the way back to the inn. While he did have an excellent memory for details, he hadn't actually been paying any attention to where they had gone once the rain had died off into a drizzle. Confusion flickered in his eyes, and he quickly made to cover it up. "I guess I'll follow you then, since you probably know the best door in." He commented, stopping to let her pass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.toadfoal.deviantart.com
Mo
Friend of Silas
Mo

PostSubject: Re: Catching Gold   Catching Gold - Page 3 EmptyWed Oct 12, 2011 9:15 am

"I am so glad you think so," Tom replied and swiftly started the descend. He went down in such a reckless manner that Ruan started to fear he might slip and fall down, but miraculously, he reached his boots without harming himself. Ruan followed closely after. "Oh, the glory of having a name!" her friend exclaimed with a chuckle, earning him a eye-roll from Ruan.

Tom had already disappeared over the edge of the roof when Ruan noticed the sleeves. Feeling very dumb, she picked them up and tucked them in her belt. Then she swung herself over the edge. Luckily, Tom had already moved out of the way. She hadn't exactly thought about the possibility of landing on top of him. Instead, her leather boots made only a faint thud on the stone street and she crouched to take the impact. A few meters before her, she saw Tom looking puzzled.

"I guess I'll follow you then, since you probably know the best door in."

"Of course, sailorman. You wouldn't want to pick the front door when you could have taken the back," Ruan teased, eyes glistening. She gave him a pat on the cheek. "Just follow the leader then," she smirked.
Back to top Go down
Toadfoal
Friend of Adlai
Toadfoal

PostSubject: Re: Catching Gold   Catching Gold - Page 3 EmptyThu Oct 13, 2011 12:06 am

"Of course, sailorman. You wouldn't want to pick the front door when you could have taken the back,"
"Well, something like that." Tom shrugged sheepishly. He really didn't have a good excuse for that one, since at this point it probably didn't matter too much which door they went through.
"Just follow the leader then,"
Ooh, that was one he really would have liked to protest. Tom opened his mouth, but his ears were feeling hot and he decided not to chance them turning red. The fact that he was already pale from the earlier soaking didn't help a lot, so instead he just followed Ruan back to the hotel. This time more careful to observe its location.

The rest of the way he was very quiet, only once or twice commenting on funny looking objects in the windows of various buildings. Most of the time though, he couldn't help thinking a bit more about what Ruan had said. It made him curious to know more, but there was a sort of anger bubbling up in his chest as well. Why did it always seem like bad things happened to good people? When they were finally nearing it, but not close enough to be heard, he caught Ruan's arm and pulled her to a stop.
"Hey Ru, really quick before we go in, you know that Mellark fellow you told me about? I was thinking and just felt like I should let ya know that I feel sorry for him. He obviously didn't realize what kind of person he'd be missing out on... Anyway, I guess if you want you can go in first. As of this moment and for a temporary amount of time, I am entirely confused and unhappy about why you got so upset at poor Delores." He donned a frown, but the cheerful twinkle remained in his eyes.
Back to top Go down
Mo
Friend of Silas
Mo

PostSubject: Re: Catching Gold   Catching Gold - Page 3 EmptySun Oct 23, 2011 7:34 am

"Well, something like that," Tom muttered a bit uneasy. Before he could say anything else, Ruan strode past him. The walk was quiet, sometimes Tom would drop a remark and she would answer. Most of the time though, they were both silent.

When they were only a street away, Tom suddenly grabbed her by the arm and pulled her to a stop, causing her heart to miss a beat. "Hey Ru, really quick before we go in, you know that Mellark fellow you told me about? I was thinking and just felt like I should let ya know that I feel sorry for him. He obviously didn't realize what kind of person he'd be missing out on... Anyway, I guess if you want you can go in first. As of this moment and for a temporary amount of time, I am entirely confused and unhappy about why you got so upset at poor Dolores," Tom rattled, his face pulled into a comical frown.

Despite the unease in her stomach she felt because she had to face Dolores again, Ruan laughed at his joking. But at the same time she couldn't help the butterflies exploding inside at his sweet words. She wanted to say something, weave her fingers through his or just hug him again. Instead, she nodded and hid her face behind her hair. Then she slightly slumped as if feeling insecure and defeated and pushed open the door.

Dolores looked up at the creak of the door. The one person she dreaded and despised the most entered and upon seeing Ruan's expression, Dolores' own face lit up in triumph. She smiled pleasantly at the customers as she made her way to her stephsister, but when she had reached her she grabbed Ruan's arm and started hissing in her ear. "Came crawling back, stupid EB: Beep, this word is censored.? How could you think that man would ever choose you over me? Oh, I saw how you looked at him! But men prefer angel-faced blondes over little hellions like you."
Back to top Go down
Toadfoal
Friend of Adlai
Toadfoal

PostSubject: Re: Catching Gold   Catching Gold - Page 3 EmptySun Oct 23, 2011 3:19 pm

The corner of his mouth twitched upward for a brief moment in amusement. Ruan really did look sulky, even though he knew it was just an act, he almost wished she wouldn't look so defeated.

After she had gone in through the door, Tom held back for a few seconds to casually scuff his boots against some gravel. It might be odd if he followed too hastily. Then, with a purposeful stride, he went up to the door and shoved it open with his forearm. The door swung inwards with his unneeded forcefulness, and he stepped in, catching it just before it hit the bordering wall.

It appeared as if Delores had already gotten to Ruan and was saying something to her by the time he spotted them. It was probably nothing nice, but he made no attempt to intervene. The door fell shut again with a 'click' and he walked past them, making an effort to ignore their conversation and found his way back to the table they'd been eating at earlier. The bowl was gone, the spoon no longer on the floor. But since it didn't appear that anyone new had been seated there Tom decided to take his spot back. He pulled out the chair and sat down in it heavily, draping his arm over the back with an annoyed grunt. A couple of people glanced at him, but he ignored them as well.
Back to top Go down
Mo
Friend of Silas
Mo

PostSubject: Re: Catching Gold   Catching Gold - Page 3 EmptySun Oct 23, 2011 4:14 pm

(lol, Tom the unbehaving sailorman)

Dolores' expression couldn't have been more delighted than when Tom strode past, looking all annoyed and like your typical sailor. "Watch how real women handle this, greppeltroll," she hissed back at Ruan, but her eyes didn't leave her 'prey's' stature (real word?) and therefor missed the amused smile around her stephsister's lips. Ruan had to give Tom, he was playing his part rather convincing and she couldn't help but grin as Dolores' took off all hipshakyness and blonde curls.

"Oh sir, I am so terribly sorry for her behaviour! I guess I should have seen it coming, it's not the first time you know... She is just so very stubborn and ill-mannered! I most certainly don't mean to put her in a bad light, Daila know I try to cover up for all her flaws whenever I can. But as you will no doubt understand, keeping an renowned inn like this takes time and a lot of work and she, well, let's just say she has different priorities."

Dolores leaned a little forward. "I only tell you this because I want to warn you sir. Stellamaris may put on a charming exterior, but if only you knew the truth... No wonder she keeps such miserable company!"
Back to top Go down
Toadfoal
Friend of Adlai
Toadfoal

PostSubject: Re: Catching Gold   Catching Gold - Page 3 EmptySun Oct 23, 2011 11:49 pm

(lol, yes, stature is a word. It's like how tall you are, or your reputation in a community)

For a moment Tom appeared so agitated that he might not pay heed to Delores either, but then he looked at her standing there and forced himself to relax. Even though he was ultimately against her and the things she said secretly annoyed him now that he knew what she was up to, he still had to admit that she was a sight to behold.

He let out a short, exasperated laugh, "Oh yes, I can see that. Stubborn indeed." He tugged at the torn seam on one side of his shirt, "Tried to stop her running and she tore my sleeves clean off." But when she leaned forward he looked a little doubtful, despite the fact that she even smelled nice up close.

"Ah. Hm." He held up a finger, and shifted his position so that he was leaning more casually on the chair. "Exactly what do you mean by that, Miss? Ru- or Stellawhateveryoucalledher went to the trouble to bring me here in out of the rain even though we haven't known each other too long. Didn't ask for a penny in return. I don't get why she got so mad back there, and it's real frustrating, but I can't see how that makes her ultimately bad. What are you saying about some truth and a warning?" He glanced briefly around at all of the people within hearing distance, and raised an eyebrow at Delores, offering a curious smile, "Is it some sort of secret?"
Back to top Go down
Mo
Friend of Silas
Mo

PostSubject: Re: Catching Gold   Catching Gold - Page 3 EmptyMon Oct 24, 2011 5:21 am

(Idk what Ru is doing lol. Prolly pretending not to hear the conversation.)

Just like every man. They just couldn't resist her perfection, Dolores thought smuggly. "Ah. Hm," Ruan's friend interrupted her and she folded her arms under her chest, well aware how this offered him an excellent view on her breasts. The fact that that earned me looks from more men than then one sitting across from her was only proof to her self-centered thoughts.

"Exactly what do you mean by that, Miss? Ru- or Stellawhateveryoucalledher went to the trouble to bring me here in out of the rain even though we haven't known each other too long. Didn't ask for a penny in return. I don't get why she got so mad back there, and it's real frustrating, but I can't see how that makes her ultimately bad. What are you saying about some truth and a warning? Is it some sort of secret?" Tom said, pulling in the audience with one glance.

Dolores immediately took the bait. "Oh no!" she practically purred. "Unless you would mean by secret that sadly, everyone knows about it. It's such a shame you know, becaus Daila knows we have tried everything! I think it has something to do with a sense of replacement: Jo-Ann is my mother, not hers and I think she may feel like Jaron replaced her own mom. The thing is, ever since we came to live here, Stellamaris... Well she... I..." Dolores faltered a little as if ashamed of what would come, biting her lip as sexy as she could. She sighed and continued.

"Allright, out with the truth! Maris intentionally seeks the company of thieves, performers, the low-life folks you see on the streets every day. But what's worse is that she puts up with... with hores. There, now you know it." Dolores leaned forward even further, lowering her voice and giving him a conspirational look. "That must be the reason she brought you here too... I'm not implying anything of course! I wouldn't dare! But it is sort of her way of attracting, well, customers."

The silence in their little circle of audience was almost tangible as Dolores leaned back with a satisfied smile.
Back to top Go down
Toadfoal
Friend of Adlai
Toadfoal

PostSubject: Re: Catching Gold   Catching Gold - Page 3 EmptyMon Oct 24, 2011 7:55 am

"Oh, that is a shame." Tom muttered, and nodded once or twice although he, like most of the other men around him, he wasn't really even making much of an attempt to even pretend he was listening. The only difference was that he wasn't genuinely interested in what they gawked at either. The hotel customers drooled freely even in front of their wives. He didn't need to look to know it was true. And here he had to pretend to drool, while his mind brooded on this uncharacteristic lack of interest.

"Hores?" He blinked, suddenly looking more intent on what she was saying. She continued to lean forward and he tipped back farther on the posterior legs of his poor chair. It uttered a quiet groan of protest as Delores lowered her voice, "That must be the reason she brought you here too... I'm not implying anything of course! I wouldn't dare! But it is sort of her way of attracting, well, customers."

Tom opened his mouth, but before he could begin to reply there was an unpleasant 'crack' to break the silence. The back legs of the chair gave out under the strain of being misused. He could tell they were old when he sat down for the first time, and apparently the mixture of flopping onto it and leaning back had done the trick. "Oi!" He let out a yelp of surprise and fell backwards onto the ground.

Once sitting there in the ruins of the broken chair, Tom made no immediate attempt to get back up. He still looked too shocked to be concerned about the misfortune he'd caused their furniture. "Customers?" He stared up at her, clearly distressed now, "Not Ru..."
Back to top Go down
Mo
Friend of Silas
Mo

PostSubject: Re: Catching Gold   Catching Gold - Page 3 EmptyMon Oct 24, 2011 8:51 am

The shock on his face... Priceless, Dolores thought. Tom looked like a fish flopped on dry land. He opened his mouth, but before he could utter any sound the old chair crumbled to pieces under him. The broad sailor didn't get up. Instead, he looked up at her like a helpless puppy, completely baffled by what he had just heard. "Customers? Not Ru..." he choked out and Dolores swiftly got off her chair and rushed over to him.

She knelt next to him on the floor. "Oh sir, I didn't think you would be so shocked by this news! But you need not be ashamed, you're not the first one Maris has fooled. Come, let me get you a new chair..." A gesture with her head was enough to make one of the audience offer their chair. Men and women alike were hanging at her lips, following her every word. Dolores quickly glanced around to see if she could see Ruan, but the litte rat didn't seem to be anywhere near. The whole event had gone by largely unnoticed by tge rest of the inn, which was good because she didn't need Jo-Ann interfering now.

"I am so sorry, I should have been more considerate..."

~~

Just behind one of the wooden pillars holding up the ceiling, Ruan had followed every word being said. It took her every ounce of self-control not to rush over to the table and high five Dolores. In the face. With a chair. Her hands were clenched to fists and her nails dug little half moons in her palms. You oughta be used to this now.

"Customers? Not Ru... Tom's voice came drifting over. An ice could hand closed over her heart. It sounded as if her was actually doubting her.
Back to top Go down
Toadfoal
Friend of Adlai
Toadfoal

PostSubject: Re: Catching Gold   Catching Gold - Page 3 EmptyMon Oct 24, 2011 7:52 pm

It took Tom a moment before he responded again, "Thanks." He mumbled, standing up. Apparently she was buying it so far, but it would have helped if he was actually as miserable as he looked. Once or twice Tom had to rub a hand over his mouth to keep from smiling. He shook his head, "No, it's alright Dolores. You haven't done anything wrong." He sighed and rubbed the back of his head, as if he had a headache.

While he was standing, Tom took the chance to make a quick look around, trying to spot Ruan. Silently, he wondered where she might have gone. Hopefully not too far away, games were more fun when the audience wasn't just a bunch of brainless zombies. So far, that was the impression he'd gotten from the people situated throughout the inn. Had he really been one of them just a few hours ago? The thought disgusted him, and he used that to put on a scowl.

"I don't believe it, tricked by a woman." With a growl, he turned his full attention back to Dolores. Tom took a deep breath, calming down again. "I don't know how I can ever thank you enough for letting me know. I don't know what to do. I can't confront her, even if she was... Well, she's still been nothing but nice to me." He groaned fretfully.
Back to top Go down
Mo
Friend of Silas
Mo

PostSubject: Re: Catching Gold   Catching Gold - Page 3 EmptyMon Oct 24, 2011 8:35 pm

"I don't believe it, tricked by a woman," Tom growled. "I don't know how I can ever thank you enough for letting me know. I don't know what to do. I can't confront her, even if she was... Well, she's still been nothing but nice to me," he added with a sigh. Dolores put on a concerned face and gently patted his shoulder. "I know it's hard... It must be very shocking too."

Just like Tom, Dolores took a quick look at the audience. But other than Tom, she didn't see brainless zombies. To her, it was all the better: an audience for the destruction of the most despised person in the world. A strand of hair got in the way, and with a graceful motion, Dolores brushed it off. She was almost a hundred percent sure she had the guy now. Clearly distressed? Check.

__

Doubt was clouding her thoughts like mad. What if Tom was actually being pulled in by the trash Dolores was talking. Ruan anxiously glanced around the pillar. She almost sighed in releave. Behind his hand, Tom was clearly having a hard time not laughing out. Ruan tried to catch his eye, barely able to keep her own composure. Wow. You got moodswings girl.

(Gah, this post. It's so weird! My mind is all like WOOAAAAAH DOUBLE RAINBOW ALL THE WAAAAAAY)
Back to top Go down
Toadfoal
Friend of Adlai
Toadfoal

PostSubject: Re: Catching Gold   Catching Gold - Page 3 EmptyMon Oct 24, 2011 10:08 pm

"I know it's hard... It must be very shocking too."
Tom nodded affirmation, smiling like a shy young boy at her touch, though it be but a simple pat on the shoulder. It was certain that she must be faking this as much as he, yet he found her confidence rather fascinating. The walk, the voice, the flip of her hair, all like some routine she no longer needed to practice. Perhaps in a way she even believed the things she was saying, her genuine air was such that nobody else seemed to doubt it. And in that way she was like a shell on the beach, pretty to look at, hollow from within.

The more he observed and talked to her, the more he realized that this was the sort of person he would never enjoy as company. How often had she gone through this routine? She must have truly taken pride in making Ruan miserable to be so persistent. Well, he would not allow her such a satisfaction today.
"If you don't mind my asking, how many others?" He ventured quietly, "How many other people have you warned against her?"
Back to top Go down
Mo
Friend of Silas
Mo

PostSubject: Re: Catching Gold   Catching Gold - Page 3 EmptyTue Oct 25, 2011 4:43 am

(That was one pretty metaphore!)

"If you don't mind my asking, how many others? How many other people have you warned against her?"

"As many people as I could of course!" Dolores said as if a little offended. "How could I not? Would you let things like that go by unnoticed? How could you thinkg that of me!" she called out. She sat down across from him again. "Let me tell you a story. There once was a boy called Mellark. Now, Mellark was a sweet and well behaving boy. His father owned a few shops in the area and everyone had high expectations for him. But then he met our 'sweet' Ruan," Dolores spoke, drawing quotations in the air with her fingers.

"Needless to say that withing weeks, Mellark had turned into some sort of criminal. You know, stealing, showing up in the wrong places. I could not stand the sight of this boy, wasting his life away, so I warned him about Maris. I believe he's doing okay now," she concluded with a humble smile. While some of the audience actually knew this Mellark, no one pointed out the many flaws in the story. They sat by, mesmerized, drinking in all the trash she poured over her stephsister.

~~~~

That stupid cow better run fast in a few minutes, Ruan thought angrily. Only because she now knew Tom was just playing Dolores was it bearable to stay hidden, set aside the occasional peek.
Back to top Go down
Toadfoal
Friend of Adlai
Toadfoal

PostSubject: Re: Catching Gold   Catching Gold - Page 3 EmptyTue Oct 25, 2011 8:09 am

(lol, here, have another! We'll have double metaphor rainbows, fweeee)

"My apologies." Tom said quickly, about a step away from begging her forgiveness. But she moved on quickly, bringing up that Mellark kid. The story Dolores told was vastly different from Ruan's side. What had really happened to him? There were so many people around who could intervene and correct her, nobody made any movement, as if she might actually be telling the truth. He frowned, almost wondering for a moment if she was telling the truth. But these dead souls were no reliable source. It was quite possible that none of them cared. Mellark could be long dead, and all they would do was sit here in their little fantasy land.

As horrible as that would be, the thought made him want to smile. He couldn't honestly say he worried too much what had come of Mellark. It was a cold world out there, some people won, some people lost. "That's all I needed to hear." He mumbled under his breath as his composure finally cracked.
"Even for a siren you are most enchanting, Dolores. I could easily have been like all the others." He said, leaning forward and lowering his voice, "Unfortunately, this sailor has been educated, and I know that up close such divine creatures are actually just big, ugly fish." He moved back to stand with an almost teasing swiftness and smiled cheerfully down at her.

Last edited by Toadfoal on Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Mo
Friend of Silas
Mo

PostSubject: Re: Catching Gold   Catching Gold - Page 3 EmptyTue Oct 25, 2011 6:11 pm

"That's all I needed to hear." Dolores raised an eyebrow at the sudden change of tone. The sailor sounded as if he knew something she didn't know and it concerned her. She squinted her eyes to slits, studying his face. Something... had changed. The tension built, both of them remaining silent until Tom leaned forward and spoke in a low voice.

"Even for a siren you are most enchanting, Dolores. Unfortunately, this captain has been educated, and I know that up close such divine creatures are truly just big, ugly fish."

What? Dolores stared up at him, dumbfounded. The words milled around in her head, big, ugly fish big, ugly fish big, ugly fish, but it was as if her mind couldn't connect them with a meaning. Her throat felt dry. Had this sailor actually dared to turn her down? Had he just called her a fish? The unfamiliar feeling of insult ran through her chest and she nervously clenched her skirt in her fists.

"..." Dolores had opened her mouth to say something, but couldn't produce a sound. She shook her head, for once not paying attention to the audience. Most of them hadn't even heard what went down and were surprised by Tom suddenly standing up. They were waiting eagerly for the next gossip to be spilled, but Dolores had more important matters to attend to now. She tried again. Her voice was barely a whisper. "What did you just call me?"

__

Safely hidden behind her pillar, Ruan followed the scene. Tom leaned forward and appeared to be whispering something. Ruan couldn't actually hear what he was saying, but the look on Dolores' face was priceles. Her mouth was hanging open as if she were a fish. Her blue eyes were bulging out as if she were a fish. And on top of that, she seemed to choke on the air as if she were a fish. Finally, a sound escaped Dolores' mouth.

"What did you just call me?"

He probably said you look like a fish.
Back to top Go down
Toadfoal
Friend of Adlai
Toadfoal

PostSubject: Re: Catching Gold   Catching Gold - Page 3 EmptyTue Oct 25, 2011 9:15 pm

"What did you just call me?"
"Hm?" Tom leaned down a little to hear her better with arms clasped behind his back, he rocked on the balls of his feet, smile never faltering. She really did look shocked, perhaps people didn't think to play her game very often. Certainly not from what he'd heard, and if that meant anything, it was likely his own name wouldn't make it through unscathed. But Ruan's needed to be avenged.

He glanced around at the audience, enjoying this even more now that he didn't have to fake all of his reactions. Those dummies seemed even less able to process things than Dolores. They just stood there like hungry animals. If it weren't for the fact that he too enjoyed an audience, he might have tried to shoo them away.
With a gesture of importance, Tom cleared his throat and spoke slightly louder than he needed to, "Well Miss," He chuckled, "I am fairly certain that I just called you a big, ugly fish."
Back to top Go down
Mo
Friend of Silas
Mo

PostSubject: Re: Catching Gold   Catching Gold - Page 3 EmptySat Oct 29, 2011 6:07 am

"Hm?" Tom hummed innocently. Dolores gawked up at him. She wished intently that this was all a joke. That she had misheard him. That it was just a spawn of her brain. Her attacker, as she suddenly thought of him, quickly glanced around and Dolores did the same. Surely someone would stand up for her. Surely they wouldn't let this slide. Surely- her heart sunk as she took in the practically drooling faces around her. Her need for an audience had mercilessly turned against her. They were here now, they were drawn in and they wanted to know what would happen next. No-one would interrupt.

Tom drew her attention with a cough. No. No, stop it! I don't want to hear it.

"Well miss," he said with a loud chuckle, catching even more attention. "I am fairly certain that I just called you a big, ugly fish."

"How... how dare you!" Dolores suddenly shrieked. She jumped up from her chair and took a stride back. "You think you can just come in here and call me names? Who do you even think you are?" With every word, the volume of her voice rose along with the pitch. "What are you anyways? Some kind of pimp? Are you Maris' employer or something? That must be it, haha! You're just a foul tricker and-"

"Wow Do, that's quite enough. You're only embarassing yourself." Ruan calmly stepped from behind the pillar and stood next to Tom. "Everyone know you're a foulspitting squid. You're proving them right."
Back to top Go down
Toadfoal
Friend of Adlai
Toadfoal

PostSubject: Re: Catching Gold   Catching Gold - Page 3 EmptySat Oct 29, 2011 11:17 pm

There seemed barely a pause from when the words had left Tom's mouth that Dolores let out her shriek. For someone of her manipulative caliber, it wasn't entirely unexpected, but that didn't make it entirely pleasant. Shrieks were perhaps one of nature's most unpleasant sounds, although this particular type was far more amusing than some.

A pimp hm? Tom crossed his arms, thinking he might just let her continue to regurgitate a fountain of insults without interruption. They weren't entirely lacking in creativity, however far from an 'employer' he really was.

"Everyone know you're a foulspitting squid. You're proving them right."
Tom turned his head to see Ruan come out from behind the pillar to stand beside him. "Ha! There you are Ruan." He let out another laugh, though not as loud or exaggerated this time, "Well said my friend."
He was constantly aware of the small things happening in the vicinity, and managed to catch a few movements that were meant to remain unseen. Oh yes, of course some of the men in the room were bound to be defensive of Dolores, even if she had been known as a liar throughout the town. A few heads of customers who had previously been uninterested were now perked as well, but it wasn't them that he noticed. It was the knives. A few of them scattered throughout the small crowd, with hands reaching inside of jacket pockets to seize them.

It didn't seem that everyone considered Dolores' truthfulness to be the chief concern, Tom decided, eyeing one man in particular who was slowly inching closer between the tables. He was definitely holding some sort of weapon, maybe a shank, and seemed interested in using it. Tom squeezed Ruan's hand to get her attention, "You didn't mention how dedicated some of her fan-base is."
Back to top Go down
Mo
Friend of Silas
Mo

PostSubject: Re: Catching Gold   Catching Gold - Page 3 EmptyThu Apr 05, 2012 7:21 am

"Ha! There you are Ruan. Well said my friend," Tom said, adding a wam laugh that could brighten up a prison. Sadly, not everyone was as okay with the turn of events as he was. While most of the audience just stood there, dumbfounded, others were more alert. Ruan recognized some faces, people she knew had... certain bonds to the beloved Dolores. Her mouth twitched into a dismayed smirk. They'd actually protect their little angel in front of the wives on which they'd cheated with her? Well fine. But she was not going to let them hurt her, or Tom for that matter.

"You didn't mention how dedicated some of her fanbase is," Tom muttered in her ear, squeezing her hand and nodding ever so slightly in the direction of the suspicious approaching man. Ruan quickly weaved her fingers through his and pulled him down a bit so she could whisper back in his ear. "That's because I didn't forsee this turn of events. Can you imagine, some ruthless sailor just called out an angel to be a disgusting sea creature." She turned to him ever so briefly to smile and then called out to the man.

"Well, Mellark. It sure isn't a surprise to see you here. Still hoping to marry our ever lovely Do?"
Back to top Go down
Toadfoal
Friend of Adlai
Toadfoal

PostSubject: Re: Catching Gold   Catching Gold - Page 3 EmptyMon Apr 16, 2012 12:29 am

The situation may have just turned from verbal knives to physical ones, but Tom couldn't help but find the whole thing to be quite funny. It wasn't the first time he'd purposefully insulted someone, despite his generally good intentions, he was still a sailor. The rules of the sea were different than on land. He'd never seen quite so many people get stirred up about something like this though. It was almost too bad that Do had chosen to use her talents in such a way. Now that he saw through her mask, she really wasn't very attractive at all.

He caught Ruan's eye as she spoke to him, churning his amusement even more. As far as he was concerned, everything was going great. That was, until he realize who the man coming towards them was. "Mellark?" He muttered under his breath. So he was still around. Tom would never have known it was him, the way he had sat there among the crowd so silently. Mellark hadn't even bothered to say anything when Dolores spun out her thread.

The smile died from his face, and he stared at Mellark for a couple of heartbeats. He had stopped when Ruan had spoken, and Tom took that as an opportunity. Regretfully, he let go of Ruan's hand and stood up again. "That *******." He growled. There was no conscious decision making after that. He hadn't really experienced this kind of feeling before. It was anger. Rarely did he feel anger, and certainly not this kind, fueled by an odd sort of force. Throwing caution to the wind, Tom rushed forward and tackled Mellark to the ground, doing his best to avoid the knife as he attempted to beat the other man senseless. "I think you should tell us what really happened."

(Yay! I'm glad we get to continue this. Fight scenes are always fun to throw in there)
Back to top Go down
Mo
Friend of Silas
Mo

PostSubject: Re: Catching Gold   Catching Gold - Page 3 EmptyTue Apr 17, 2012 2:30 pm

"That *******."

Before she knew what was happening, Tom had attacked Mellark. "Tom, no!" Ruan yelled halfheartedly. No one was interfering, everyone being too shocked to react. By not doing anything, she fit right in. The tiniest smirk crept over her face as Mellark took a good punch to the face. No harm in standing back and letting revenge happen for a bit. But of course, someone had to ruin it.

A large hand gently shoved her aside and then Jaron grabbed both Tom and Mellark by their shoulders. Although both men were healthy and strong, in the spur of the moment they were no match for the large innkeeper. With some effort, he separated them. From where she was standing, Ruan couldn't see Tom's face but Mellark looked as if the next day would bring at least one black eye.

"NOW SILENCE."

Jarons voice echoeed through the inn, leaving a silence indeed. "I think you should tell us what really happened," Tom spoke.

"I ain't have to explain m'self to a thug." Mellarks voice was muffled and somewhat rough. For a second, he looked defeated, but then he suddenly pulled out his knife again and stabbed it right at Tom.

(too bad I'm not reall good at wrting though. oh well.)
Back to top Go down
Toadfoal
Friend of Adlai
Toadfoal

PostSubject: Re: Catching Gold   Catching Gold - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 20, 2012 1:05 am

There was a brief moment when Tom didn't even notice that Jaron was trying to separate them, but then he found himself pulled up by the shoulder, and blinked in surprise. The innkeeper was stronger than he had realized. Respectably so, and if he hadn't been so wound up he probably would have shut up and let the whole thing go.

But in the end, after what Mellark had done to Ruan, that just wasn't going to happen. He really really wanted to know. To force it out of Mellark, if he had to. In fact, that was exactly what he had intended to do so long as the other refused to give him the information he wanted to know. Mainly so he'd have a reason to wail on him even more.

Mellark's defeated look was something encouraging to Tom. His scowl turned into a grin, thinking that he had so cleverly defeated this new enemy without so much as a scratch of damage to his own physique. It may not have been the best logic, but he somehow hoped that if he could make Mellark look and feel pathetic and dominated, that Ruan might feel better. Avenged. Something like that. Except, his plan didn't go quite the way he had expected. Tom had so cheerfully overestimated himself that when the knife came towards him, he wasn't quite fast enough to side-step it this time.

Well, that's a bummer. He thought, faintly recalling something Ruan had said earlier when she had found him standing in the rain. Maybe it would have been wiser to heed her words. "Hnnn-." He grunted. It kind of felt like he'd been punched in the side, if the object delivering the blow had been slightly less sharp.

Right now, he didn't feel quite so cocky. But Tom still managed to aim one last hit at Mellark's nose, and stumbled back to avoid anything else destructive. Oddly though, nobody in the crowd seemed particularly enthusiastic about this turn of events. More eager, hungry to lap up the blood and savor the salty tang. He had wanted them to turn on Dolores, but at least they had momentarily ceased to behave like her slaves. That in itself was some sort of victory. So, he turned around, and calmly made his way towards Ruan, with one hand covering the wound to keep it from bleeding out as much as hide it from view. "I think I'm done." He mumbled. That much was true.

(That is so not true. You are a most excellent writer, which is especially apparent when you work so well with the crud I give you to go on, haha!)

Last edited by Toadfoal on Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:24 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Good grief, there were words missing from my sentences. ono)
Back to top Go down
Mo
Friend of Silas
Mo

PostSubject: Re: Catching Gold   Catching Gold - Page 3 EmptyTue Apr 24, 2012 9:44 am

(woot woot FIGHT)

How could the world warp around so horribly so fast? In a split second, Ruan saw the knife raising and then heard the nauseating sound of skin being sliced. From an exited smirk, her expression fell into one of pure horror. "Hnnn-." The world was frozen as Tom doubled over, clamping his side. The audience around them was staring, murmuring. No one reacted. Ruan locked eyes with Jaron for a second as he dragged Mellark back further.

She stumbled two steps forward as her friend turned towards her. "I think I'm done." His side was bleeding. He had pressed his hand over the wound, but Ruan could see blood leaking out. "Tom!" Her voice wasn't her own, creaky and faint. "Are... are you okay? Oh sweet Daila, please don't die. You!" The last word was yelled out at Mellark as she lifted her head. "Who do you even think you are!?"

She didn't get angry very easily. Or well, she did get angry easily, but full on furious was a rarity. But Mellark had just done it. One arm was occupied with holding Tom as tight as possible. That meant the other arm was very much free enough to punch Mellark square in the face. After taking ten steps forward, dragging a still bleeding Tom behind her, she did just that. "YOU ASSHAT!? YOU THINK YOU CAN TREAT ME LIKE THAT AND THEN STAB MY FRIEND?! WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU!!"

(All Caps rage woot woot!)
Back to top Go down
Toadfoal
Friend of Adlai
Toadfoal

PostSubject: Re: Catching Gold   Catching Gold - Page 3 EmptyWed Apr 25, 2012 11:33 pm

If it wasn't for the fact that she was so upset, Tom would have really enjoyed the situation. Or at least the whole being held onto part. That part was nice. He opened his mouth, wanting to say something that might sound reassuring. After all, he was pretty sure that after a good nap and some bandages he would be just fine. "Nah, it's alr-" He started to say, but Ruan had already turned her attention back to Mellark.

At first he flinched at how tightly her arm was wrapped around him, but then his eyes widened in surprise when he realized what she was doing. Ruan was heading directly towards Mellark, with vicious intent. The other fellow seemed just as caught off guard. He didn't even have time to react before Ruan punched him directly in the face.

The knife clattered to the ground, staining the floor as it bounced just out of Mellark's reach. He made a noise, and immediately held his hands up to his nose as a wave of sticky red fluid spurted from it. The blow had clearly broken his nose, and Tom wouldn't have been surprised if his cheek bone was damaged too. He wasn't sure he'd ever seen anyone throw a punch quite that hard. Especially not a woman. Though that stereotype was one he was learning to disregard. And now, seeing Mellark writhing on the ground and cursing in pain, he had to laugh.

The audience seemed surprised by this new turn of events as well. They had been faithful ears to the fictional horror's of Ruan's behavior for quite a while, and seeing her attack Mellark finally got a reaction from them. A number of the ladies screamed, one even fainted, and couple of men stood up abruptly, their chairs clattering against tables. But she hadn't touched Dolores, so they continued to hold back.

Even though he was clearly beaten, Mellark was still more determined than Tom had given him credit for. Though his face was bloodied and broken, he just didn't seem to want to give in. Holding his nose with one hand, the man reached again for the knife.
At the same time, Tom leaned forward, trying to grab it without falling over. He wasn't sure Ruan would let go of him even if he did, and that made him weary. "Ru, the knife. Get the knife." He croaked, motioning wildly with one arm towards the object on the floor.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Catching Gold   Catching Gold - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Catching Gold
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Shinlai Community :: Grab your masks, it's RP time :: The Library - Storyline Roleplay-
Jump to: