Shinlai Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is the Forum for the Deviantart Group; The Shinlai Community

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog inBack to dA
It's nearly spring! New growth, fresh flowers and light! Speaking of light, enjoy the new Dalia theme!
SILAS RULES DAILAH DROOLS!!
A big thank you to Toadfoal and Alana for the images of Silas, and to Mingo for making the new layout.

Shinlai mask experiment....

Go down 
+6
Blue
Selousi
Nyliir
EaterOfNoobs
Toadfoal
distortedgirl66
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
distortedgirl66
Friend of Silas
distortedgirl66

Shinlai mask experiment.... Empty
PostSubject: Shinlai mask experiment....   Shinlai mask experiment.... EmptySat Jun 25, 2011 8:35 pm

So in case you were wondering where I have been I've come up with a neat idea that I am working in this weekend. I am making a replica of rysh and hallows mask out of paper mache and then casting them in hard resin to preserve and keep them hard. If all goes well I might take commissions in these if they look good. I will post pictures once I'm done! Hopefully they look cool!

Day 1:!!! Ok so I had to completely redo them because they got destroyed cause the one day it rains in New Mexico is the day I leave my masks out to dry. So her we go once again. I took some photos of the main mold for Ryshka's mask. Its made out of jewlers wire and aluminum foil, then covered in duct tape to ensure that it stays together and won't fall apart under the weight of the mache and resin.

Shinlai mask experiment.... 65a9da7d
Shinlai mask experiment.... 6a24f883
Shinlai mask experiment.... C39ca0f6

1 hour later: So took me forever to get the shape just right or at least semi right and now I've made a batch of paper mache pulp or clay. This is going to be my base layer and as you can tell its already about 1/8 of an inch in thickness. As of right now it is in the oven drying. I don't have the oven on but I am not risking it and putting it outside so it can get rained on again! Next step in about 5 hours I will put a layer of flour paper mache with some thick computer paper to help smooth it out and give me a nice white base to paint.

Shinlai mask experiment.... B11e24f6
Shinlai mask experiment.... Efcae9e0
Shinlai mask experiment.... 4b653cce

Last edited by distortedgirl66 on Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://distortedgirl66.deviantart.com
Toadfoal
Friend of Adlai
Toadfoal

PostSubject: Re: Shinlai mask experiment....   Shinlai mask experiment.... EmptySat Jun 25, 2011 8:58 pm

Oh wow, that's awesome! I can't wait to see them. 8D
Back to top Go down
http://www.toadfoal.deviantart.com
EaterOfNoobs
Friend of Silas
EaterOfNoobs

PostSubject: Re: Shinlai mask experiment....   Shinlai mask experiment.... EmptySat Jun 25, 2011 9:33 pm

THIS IDEA IS BOSS I love you
Back to top Go down
http://cloudlace.deviantart.com/
Nyliir
Friend of Hekili
Nyliir

PostSubject: Re: Shinlai mask experiment....   Shinlai mask experiment.... EmptySat Jun 25, 2011 11:30 pm

Haha, I was trying to make mini-sculpts of some Lai-masks, but it wasn't working out. I downloaded Sculptris and made it in there instead. :B

Good luck with these! Sounds like they're going to be pretty cool!
Back to top Go down
http://nyface.deviantart.com
Selousi
Friend of Adlai
Selousi

PostSubject: Re: Shinlai mask experiment....   Shinlai mask experiment.... EmptySun Jun 26, 2011 12:28 am

;x; I'm totally gonna try this. But maybe out of wood so that I can add it to my witch doctors stick haha ;0;
Back to top Go down
http://alphacortezi.tumblr.com
Nyliir
Friend of Hekili
Nyliir

PostSubject: Re: Shinlai mask experiment....   Shinlai mask experiment.... EmptySun Jun 26, 2011 1:15 am

Selousi wrote:
;x; I'm totally gonna try this. But maybe out of wood so that I can add it to my witch doctors stick haha ;0;

Ooooh, wooden masks would be beautiful! ;;
If you ever do it, you have to show usss!
Back to top Go down
http://nyface.deviantart.com
Blue
Friend of Adlai
Blue

PostSubject: Re: Shinlai mask experiment....   Shinlai mask experiment.... EmptySun Jun 26, 2011 1:38 am

Paper mache is a fabulous idea! I can't wait until it's done! It's a good matieral, as it's clearly easier to manipulate than a lot of other matierials

Selousi wrote:

That is a fantastic idea! I have a tiny carving knife. Maybe I could make a little Volpe mask keychain :DDD
Back to top Go down
http://sirius-brightstar.deviantart.com/
Selousi
Friend of Adlai
Selousi

PostSubject: Re: Shinlai mask experiment....   Shinlai mask experiment.... EmptySun Jun 26, 2011 1:01 pm

Oh gosh I will I promise ;;
Back to top Go down
ruxas
Pup
ruxas

PostSubject: Re: Shinlai mask experiment....   Shinlai mask experiment.... EmptySun Jun 26, 2011 10:49 pm

Nyliir wrote:
Haha, I was trying to make mini-sculpts of some Lai-masks, but it wasn't working out. I downloaded Sculptris and made it in there instead. :B

Good luck with these! Sounds like they're going to be pretty cool!

Woo sculptris ftw! i love that program but i wished i had Zbrush T.T

Rey let me steal his sculpting tools that he he had from working on a bust model and a fursuit dog nose i might just make some mini lai masks of the various shinlai myself X3
Back to top Go down
Mo
Friend of Silas
Mo

PostSubject: Re: Shinlai mask experiment....   Shinlai mask experiment.... EmptyMon Jun 27, 2011 11:30 am

That is an awesome idea! Can't wait to see how all the masks turn out.
Back to top Go down
Kaylex
Friend of Silas
Kaylex

PostSubject: Re: Shinlai mask experiment....   Shinlai mask experiment.... EmptyMon Jun 27, 2011 8:52 pm

All these plots to make masks are pretty epic <3
I think my best bet would be to make a mask out of something like craft foam lol When you heat it up (careful so it won't burn) you can bend it and create things like ridges and such. Once it cools off it holds the shape
Back to top Go down
Silveera
Friend of Vera
Silveera

PostSubject: Re: Shinlai mask experiment....   Shinlai mask experiment.... EmptyTue Jun 28, 2011 12:43 am

Fff, I didn't see this topic......

I've been working on one since yesterday :D
Back to top Go down
http://sylveira.deviantart.com
ruxas
Pup
ruxas

PostSubject: Re: Shinlai mask experiment....   Shinlai mask experiment.... EmptyTue Jun 28, 2011 1:10 am

X3 better idea! Wearable masks! :D and ill get working on templates when...*fell asleep*
Back to top Go down
Kaylex
Friend of Silas
Kaylex

PostSubject: Re: Shinlai mask experiment....   Shinlai mask experiment.... EmptyTue Jun 28, 2011 8:30 pm

I approve of the wearable mask concept <3
I will have to try to construct one if I ever get the chance to
Back to top Go down
distortedgirl66
Friend of Silas
distortedgirl66

PostSubject: Re: Shinlai mask experiment....   Shinlai mask experiment.... EmptyTue Jun 28, 2011 10:05 pm

Haha thats pretty much what I am going on with these ones. Right now I am in the painting process. So far so good
Back to top Go down
ruxas
Pup
ruxas

PostSubject: Re: Shinlai mask experiment....   Shinlai mask experiment.... EmptyWed Jun 29, 2011 6:37 pm

Kaylex wrote:

Me and ~Reyouke and deviantart planned out a wearable version of Vera's Mask.
Back to top Go down
Selousi
Friend of Adlai
Selousi

PostSubject: Re: Shinlai mask experiment....   Shinlai mask experiment.... EmptyWed Jun 29, 2011 7:20 pm

In that case maybe I'll just make one out of model magic or something so that it's light haha.
Back to top Go down
Kaylex
Friend of Silas
Kaylex

PostSubject: Re: Shinlai mask experiment....   Shinlai mask experiment.... EmptyWed Jun 29, 2011 7:46 pm

ruxas wrote:
Kaylex wrote:

That is pure awesomeness <33 What material are you going to be using?
Back to top Go down
ruxas
Pup
ruxas

PostSubject: Re: Shinlai mask experiment....   Shinlai mask experiment.... EmptyWed Jun 29, 2011 7:56 pm

Kaylex wrote:
ruxas wrote:
Kaylex wrote:

That is pure awesomeness <33 What material are you going to be using?

We haven't settled on the materials. Either Paper Mache or layered sheets of aluminum foil glued together and on top of that, add a layer of sculpey after putting the necessary supports on the inside of the maks to keep the foil from crumpling up as we get the sculpey on it. If we cant decide on it, we might just go get a good sized sheet of copper and hammer a mask out that way and use that as a form to create multiple masks. Out of sculpey of course.
Back to top Go down
Kaylex
Friend of Silas
Kaylex

PostSubject: Re: Shinlai mask experiment....   Shinlai mask experiment.... EmptyWed Jun 29, 2011 8:13 pm

The copper sounds like a great idea. Then you could just make a basic shape and you could adjust it into any mask in the future
Back to top Go down
ruxas
Pup
ruxas

PostSubject: Re: Shinlai mask experiment....   Shinlai mask experiment.... EmptyWed Jun 29, 2011 9:08 pm

Kaylex wrote:
The copper sounds like a great idea. Then you could just make a basic shape and you could adjust it into any mask in the future

X3 it is but ill let reyouke do that. hes more of an artist than i am. T.T im just a measly writer. XD but, i can still paint!!!
Back to top Go down
distortedgirl66
Friend of Silas
distortedgirl66

PostSubject: Re: Shinlai mask experiment....   Shinlai mask experiment.... EmptyThu Jun 30, 2011 6:03 pm

Update!! Check out the first page for progress!
Back to top Go down
ruxas
Pup
ruxas

PostSubject: Re: Shinlai mask experiment....   Shinlai mask experiment.... EmptyThu Jun 30, 2011 6:17 pm

distortedgirl66 wrote:
Update!! Check out the first page for progress!

Is that duct tape?
Back to top Go down
distortedgirl66
Friend of Silas
distortedgirl66

PostSubject: Re: Shinlai mask experiment....   Shinlai mask experiment.... EmptyThu Jun 30, 2011 6:31 pm

There is duct tape on the mold for the mask, it wont be on the mask itself. Its flexible and sturdy enough, and water proof that I can put the paper mache over the top of it so it will come out and leave behind just the mask,
Back to top Go down
ruxas
Pup
ruxas

PostSubject: Re: Shinlai mask experiment....   Shinlai mask experiment.... EmptyThu Jun 30, 2011 6:46 pm

distortedgirl66 wrote:
There is duct tape on the mold for the mask, it wont be on the mask itself. Its flexible and sturdy enough, and water proof that I can put the paper mache over the top of it so it will come out and leave behind just the mask,

Ah, XC i bailed on rey today cause i had more important matters to attend to right now; he said hes currently setting up the basic form of the mask we are working on with cardboard from a shipping box that was leftover from when he got his new tablet in. ill try to get em to post some pictures on flickr so i can put em up here.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Shinlai mask experiment....   Shinlai mask experiment.... Empty

Back to top Go down

Shinlai mask experiment....
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next