Shinlai Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is the Forum for the Deviantart Group; The Shinlai Community

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog inBack to dA
It's nearly spring! New growth, fresh flowers and light! Speaking of light, enjoy the new Dalia theme!
SILAS RULES DAILAH DROOLS!!
A big thank you to Toadfoal and Alana for the images of Silas, and to Mingo for making the new layout.

Of Shinlai and Owls

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Magweno
Pack Member
Magweno

Of Shinlai and Owls Empty
PostSubject: Of Shinlai and Owls   Of Shinlai and Owls EmptySat Oct 01, 2011 4:52 am

Of Shinlai and Owls 5ph9o1
(Pic by Andeva <3)

Autumn storms had ripped through the forest, tearing leaves from the cocoon of trees and leaving the woods looking cadaverous and empty. Skjoldur traditionally took to traveling further into the wilderness when the weather turned, seeking refuge in fluffed up furs and warm coniferous boughs, heading higher. He was in the mountainous tundra, in a small valley on the side of a steep slope, where trees grew in the shelter. Here the wind didn't chill one to the very bone and tug at fur unyieldingly.

Days in winter in his mountain refuge helped Skjoldur ground himself. Autumn brought sadness and hibernation, but winter slowly brought a new sense of freedom, a clean slate. Everything was asleep, everything quiet. He spent his time meditating, observing, gathering food and sitting fluffy and warm. He liked it up here and was very calm. Other Shinlai didn't often come here and terrible social skills were given a much needed rest.

Today he was relaxed. He had food stored in his den and the sun was shining brightly on the snow, millions of diamonds carpeted at his feet. It lay fresh and untouched, so naturally Skjoldur took the opportunity to let himself go. He rolled like a pup, rubbing his antlers in it, kicking his legs in the air and snuffling with happiness, then leaping up and running in an enormous circle, letting the exhilarating feeling of coldness send icy fingers down his spine.

Last edited by Magweno on Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:08 pm; edited 6 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.magweno.com
Andeva
Friend of Hekili
Andeva

PostSubject: Re: Of Shinlai and Owls   Of Shinlai and Owls EmptySat Oct 01, 2011 3:54 pm

Freshly powdered snow, that had barreled down the night before, glimmering in the soft morning sun. From the slopes to the river, everything was concealed in a thick layer of ice and snow. Winter had come stronger this year than in the years past. Yet in this bleak cold world, signs of life shone through.
Smoke came from a many small homes on a cliff of the mountains, a village. Overlooking this vast white valley, protected by the forest that reached up the mountains, this village had been around for many seasons.

Down the mountainside a bit, stirred life once more. A flurry of snow blasted from the rocks, clearing the path and revealing a den. Antissa step into the sun, her eyes blink adjusting to the light, yawning and stretching from her slumber. Antissa shook out the snow in her thick winter coat, that protected her from the chilly winds that sweep across the slopes. Raising her head up she took a deep breath, the cool crisp air was exhilarating.

Carrying a satchel Antissa prance lightly across the snow out to search for more food to fill her den. More often than not, she would fend for herself without the aid of her village. Being an independent young lady, Antissa took pride in being able to take care of herself, especially in the harsh winters. As she got further away where nobody could see her, Antissa just couldn't resist playing in the snow. Powder flung everywhere as she dashed around the trees playfully, rolling around the base of a tree rubbing herself on the bark, snorting in delight. After a quick clean up, Antissa continue on her way, she trot lightly never sinking into the snow. A snow white owl flew overhead, his name Altair, Antissa's companion.

(hooray for first RP)
Of Shinlai and Owls Antissabycarndeargd4din

Last edited by Andeva on Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:32 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://aydenna.deviantart.com/
Magweno
Pack Member
Magweno

PostSubject: Re: Of Shinlai and Owls   Of Shinlai and Owls EmptyThu Oct 06, 2011 4:55 am

Skjoldur was lying on his back staring at the sky, snow stuck to his fur in clumps, paws resting on his chest, when he heard light footsteps heading his way. He looked behind him, antlers dragging small furrows in the snow, but couldn't see who it was for the trees.

He stood up and shook himself, but this did little to dislodge the matted ice clinging to his fluff. He kind of resembled a wooly mammoth, fluffy, large, antlered and covered in snow, but he didn't know this and so hid in a small clump of trees, trying to blend in and failing miserably. Staying very still, he waited for whoever it was to pass, but to his surprise it was not a Shinlai that came, but an owl.

The footsteps had stopped and Altair, Antissa's snowy owl, flew soundlessly into the small glade Skjoldur had been rolling in. This Shinlai had a weak spot for birds and came out of hiding to walk towards him, slowly and quietly mesmerised by this avian beauty. He lay down when he was a few steps away from Altair and simply watched, absolutely fascinated by him.
Back to top Go down
Andeva
Friend of Hekili
Andeva

PostSubject: Re: Of Shinlai and Owls   Of Shinlai and Owls EmptySun Oct 09, 2011 12:54 am

As Antissa trot along in search of any remaining moss buried in the snow, Altair flew ahead, in his search of prey. Antissa stop by a tree and dug around in the snow finding a few plants to take to her den, anything that can be eaten or used was a great find. Altair glide through the barren trees silently, with his sharp vision he noticed a shrew, digging itself from its burrow under the snow. Unseen to the shrew, Altair dove down snatching it up and flying off. Into a glade he silently flew, landing on a fallen trees branch. Nipping at his shrew, eating his meal happily. As he ate, he notice a shadow being cast over him then lowered. Altair turn to see a giant snowy monster, he screech with fear flapping his wings flying high above the trees. Antissa perk up, hearing Altairs cry, she dropped her satchel and ran in the direction of the sound.

Entering the glade Antissa saw what had spooked Altair, at first glance she let out a soft growl at the beast. Skjoldur turn to her, realizing what he was, Antissa relaxed and curiously stare at him. Altair landed on Antissa's back, he inspected the strange looking Shinlai as well. Antissa laugh a bit at how ridiculous the Lai looked. With a squall of wind from Antissa, the snow was blown off Skjoldur, revealing not a monster but a young male earth Shinlai.
Back to top Go down
Magweno
Pack Member
Magweno

PostSubject: Re: Of Shinlai and Owls   Of Shinlai and Owls EmptyTue Oct 18, 2011 3:56 pm

Of Shinlai and Owls Vhfgyf

A few remaining clumps of snow clung to Skjoldur's longer fur on his chest, his mane and, most noticeably, his beard. He looked like he had a white goatee, but he was in high spirits and felt very assured of himself. A dashing knight in his head, a snow-bedraggled scruff in reality.

"I like your owl," he said tactfully, "he's beautiful."

He tore his eyes from Altair and suddenly realised he was talking to a girl, and a girl that was in the middle of the mountainous wilderness at that. He wondered if she was lost, then realised he had seen her and Altair before, from the other side of the valley. Telling her that would sound creepy though so he stayed quiet and smiled instead, unsure of what to say in lieu of this.
Back to top Go down
Andeva
Friend of Hekili
Andeva

PostSubject: Re: Of Shinlai and Owls   Of Shinlai and Owls EmptyWed Oct 26, 2011 1:46 am

Antissa look at Altair for a moment, the bundle of feathers still alert and on edge from the fright.

"You nearly scared Altair to death" Antissa said before turning back to Skjoldur

"What are you doing here, I have never seen you around before."

Antissa saw the weird smile on his face.

"Um is something wrong?" she said slightly annoyed.
Back to top Go down
Magweno
Pack Member
Magweno

PostSubject: Re: Of Shinlai and Owls   Of Shinlai and Owls EmptyWed Oct 26, 2011 3:30 pm

"No-o," He stammered, "I've just... I'm just..." The smile fell and he tried to pull himself together. Clearing his throat he tried to smile a less creepy smile, "I've seen you around before, I have a den just over in the gully, over there..." He jerked his head behind him. "Not far. I'm sorry I scared your owl, you don't see many snowy owls 'round here so I was pretty impressed when I saw him. What did you say his name was? I usually get on well with birds but more with the insectivorous ones, I'm an Earth elemental and the plants I grow attract bugs and the bugs attract birds. Sometimes rodents too."

He was rambling. Girls made him nervous.
Back to top Go down
Andeva
Friend of Hekili
Andeva

PostSubject: Re: Of Shinlai and Owls   Of Shinlai and Owls EmptyMon Oct 31, 2011 2:04 am

"Altair, his name is Altair" said Antissa warming up a bit to this stranger who had been watching her from afar.

"You don't have to be so nervous, I won't hurt you." she said seeing his emotions clearly.

He still looked a bit nervous.

"Eh well... My name is Antissa, I am an Air Shinlai. Your name?" she said friendly.
Back to top Go down
Magweno
Pack Member
Magweno

PostSubject: Re: Of Shinlai and Owls   Of Shinlai and Owls EmptyTue Nov 08, 2011 2:29 pm

He raised his head again, "My name is Skjöldur, I know you couldn't hurt me! You look too soft." He said before he realised, then bit his lip. "I mean, you look fluffy. Like..." he looked around, "snow." Wow that was imaginative. He himself looked like a puffball seeing as he had his winter coat, but he wasn't very mindful of this and walked a bit closer to get a better look at Altair.
Back to top Go down
Andeva
Friend of Hekili
Andeva

PostSubject: Re: Of Shinlai and Owls   Of Shinlai and Owls EmptyTue Nov 15, 2011 2:21 pm

Antissa back away slightly from him as he crept nearer.

"Soft?" she snort. I am anything but soft she thought to herself.

Altair stare at Skjöldur as he approach ever closer. Skjöldur stare back.

"Um you really like Altair don't you" said Antissa "Would you like to see the owls in our village? We have more than just snowy owls"
Antissa trying to be friendly to this strange Shinlai that could not stop staring at them.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Of Shinlai and Owls   Of Shinlai and Owls Empty

Back to top Go down

Of Shinlai and Owls
Page 1 of 1