Shinlai Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is the Forum for the Deviantart Group; The Shinlai Community

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog inBack to dA
It's nearly spring! New growth, fresh flowers and light! Speaking of light, enjoy the new Dalia theme!
SILAS RULES DAILAH DROOLS!!
A big thank you to Toadfoal and Alana for the images of Silas, and to Mingo for making the new layout.

Thick as Thieves

Go down 
2 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Blue
Friend of Adlai
Blue

Thick as Thieves Empty
PostSubject: Thick as Thieves   Thick as Thieves EmptyTue May 31, 2011 10:28 pm

This roleplay is for:

Volpe
Forrgotenrose

Feel free to read by all means! If you would like to be a part of this rp and think you would be relevant to the story than feel free to note either myself or Rose. We don't mind you asking at all :)

----------

(I am so sorry this is so long D:)

This was not normally the kind of town Volpe would steal from. It was large. Roads wound all through it, crisscrossing and dipping into rarely travelled backroads, causing a confusing map even for the people who lived there. Side alleys could be spotted between a pair of buildings, narrow paths that threaded between the homes. All over these streets were bustling with activity. It was a simple but busy and large town. Farmers came here to trade their crops and livestock with the fur-traders that often showed up in town. Merchants haggled with customers, horses trotted down the cobblestone roads, occasionally a friendly "Hello" was called to a familiar face. The town was bustling with activity, and an overall cheery noisy backdrop.

For others though, the noise was misery. For example: the blind.

"Some higher being hates me, I know it." The fawn-pelted Lai walked through the streets, muttering about his "cursed existence". He dragged his paws in an overall awkward gait, trying to feel where he put his paws before stepping down. If there were any humans, horses, or the like in his way- well they were best to get out of it. His startling white eyes rolled in their sockets, trying instinctively to see what blocked his path.

His stomach growled and he whined pathetically in response. "Neeeed fooood...." He paused his aimless walking to look around and raise his nose to the air, trying to pick out noises and detach scents from the lazy breeze. It wasn't easy for the sightless Lai to hunt, most of the time- he scavenged. Volpe had learned not to be picky about his food, but at sometimes there was nothing to be picky about. Poor luck had caused his belly to growl in hunger for a couple days now. Food was a necessity.

Volpe swung his head towards a sudden loud honk. A flock of geese was tended to a farmer on his right. Volpe stared in his direction and his mouth watered. Wait. Think. Geese are too expensive around here. Volpe instead homed in on clucking noises- chickens.

Perfect.

Volpe listened and sniffed the air. He could only assume the chickens were in a pen rather than individual cages based on the scratching and shuffling he heard. He drew closer, carefully. It would have to be a snap decision. The farmer was haggling with a customer right now. Now or never.

Volpe lunged forward, intending to snatch a chicken, silence it, and discreetly make off with it.

No such luck.

He lunged forward, mouth agape, to grab a chicken. Instead he tripped over a badly placed stack of cages. He crashed into the fence of the pen, utterly destroying it. He heard a scream and shout, and sensed the farmer coming closer- waving his hands angrily. Volpe's heart thumped against his chest- by Daila this was such a disaster.

Volpe snatched up one of the panicked chickens in his mouth and jumped to his feet, running down the (thankfully) straight street.

"OI! GET BACK HERE! HELP! STOP THEIF!"

"Hey did you see that?"

"What? Hey! Stop that beast!

"Monster! Get him!"

"Perfect." Volpe muttered around the (still flailing) chicken. He had to have half the town alerted at this rate. Apparently that was a bigger scene than he had thought. Volpe shook his head, snapping the poultry's neck. He bounded down the street, knocking over anyone unfortunate enough to stand in his way.

Volpe got to the end of the street where it took a sharp right. Volpe roared with anger and pain as he slammed full force into some stone wall. Thankfully, his oak mask lessened the impact- one of the rare days he wore it and it turned out useful. He shook his head, turning along the wall and galloping on. This was no less than a disaster. And at this rate- it would end badly.
Back to top Go down
http://sirius-brightstar.deviantart.com/
Forrgotenrose
Admin
Forrgotenrose

Thick as Thieves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thick as Thieves   Thick as Thieves EmptyTue May 31, 2011 10:50 pm

Iapto had been snooping around the town most of the day. She was amazed at how many unlocked doors and open windows there were, not to mention the endless supply of small shiny things, which conveniently fitted in her pocket or hip bag... As she trundled down the street, swiping purses and whistling cheerfully to herself she heard a loud crash, followed by lots of disgruntled shouting and running footsteps. Loud, heavy, footsteps... She trotted around the corner eagerly looking around to see what the commotion was about. She went to pickpocket a purse just as she looked up to see a familiar Shinlai, bolting down the street towards her, half his face obscured by a rather fluffy chicken. Completely forgetting about the new purse in her hand she burst out laughing as Volpe ran into a wall, bounced off it and started running alongside it, in her direction.

Her barking laugh came to an abrupt stop as she felt a strong roughly calloused hand grab her wrist. “And what do you think you’re doing with that?” A gruff voice said. Iapto looked up to see the owner of the purse gripping her wrist and glaring daggers at her.

“Oh this thing?” She said, mock surprise in her voice. “I was just stealing it!” She said cheerfully. The man looked surprised by her response, clearly expecting her to lie. He went to reply and was stopped abruptly by Iapto’s fist connecting smartly with his nose. The force of her blow made him real backwards. But her knee thudding into his gut made him keel over, clutching his stomach.

She straightened up and dusted herself off, just in time for a brick to narrowly miss her head. “There’s another thief!” Someone bellowed, the small crowd that had being pursuing Volpe gained a another gaggle of members, heading for both her and Volpe.

“Oh you have got to be kidding me.” Iapto stated bluntly, before turning and bolting off down the street. Only faintly aware that Volpe was nearby. Still with the fluffy chicken in his mouth.
Back to top Go down
http://forrgotenrose.deviantart.com/
Blue
Friend of Adlai
Blue

Thick as Thieves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thick as Thieves   Thick as Thieves EmptyWed Jun 01, 2011 12:17 am

This was not good. Not. Good. Volpe's shoulder was skidding against the wall every couple of feet due to his inability to run in a straight line. He growled around his would-be meal, it was just one chicken! Just one! Apparently these town people's have no heart. He wondered if they turned away starving children too.

A sudden, harsh barking laugh caught his attention. That voice! He'd know that anywhere! But he hurtled right past her, best not deal with old grudges now.

SMASH! Volpe slammed into yet another obstacle. This time it was a merchant's stand. He tripped and fell flat onto it, crushing it into splinters. He picked himself up again, struggling to his feet and panting heavily (he managed to hold on to the bird though!). By the gods this was a disaster. He stood there for a moment, chest heaving. The throng of angry people had to be close behind, but with all the commotion he couldn't properly tell where they were.

“There’s another thief!”

Volpe's head turned towards the noise, and it was quickly followed by urgent, running footsteps. Bingo.

Volpe threw himself on the path once again, matching his running speed to Iapto's. Volpe laughed, the growling-like noise clearly audible. "Long time no see, theif." Some greeting. His words were muffled, but hopefully still understandable. Volpe seemed to forget he was being chased for the exact same offense.
Back to top Go down
Forrgotenrose
Admin
Forrgotenrose

Thick as Thieves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thick as Thieves   Thick as Thieves EmptyWed Jun 01, 2011 1:44 pm

The sound of large heavy paws running alongside alerted Iapto to the fact Volpe was now running next to her. "Long time no see, thief." The muffled words seemed to say.

Iapto contained a laugh, laughing wasn’t good while running. ‘Long time no see indeed’ She mused to herself, grinning at the fact that he had never actually seen her. “Well good afternoon there, Volpe! Long time no see indeed.” She replied, spitting his name like she always did. “How do you see with that chicken? Oh wait never mind.” She said scathingly.

She darted around a small cluster of people in her path, glancing back to see the small mob of people, which seemed to have gained a few more, and lengthened her stride. She didn’t like mobs, too loud and noisy, however they did carry a lot of small shinnies. She sped up, eyes flicking around the street up ahead, trying to spot an alleyway. “Damn it, why is there never an alley when you need one!” she snapped to herself.
Back to top Go down
Blue
Friend of Adlai
Blue

Thick as Thieves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thick as Thieves   Thick as Thieves EmptyWed Jun 01, 2011 3:42 pm

“Well good afternoon there, Volpe! Long time no see indeed. How do you see with that chicken? Oh wait never mind.”

Volpe growled and shook his head in frustration. "Oh how clever," sarcasm thick in his voice. "Yep. Make fun of the blind Lai. Why am I not surprise a remark like that would come from you." He growled sorely.

While Iapto darted around the cluster of people Volpe charged right through them, causing them to shout out in surprise. He continued his pace beside Iapto, and noticed she had increased hers slightly. "Is that as fast as you can go?" He hissed. Honestly, this was ridiculous. The only reason he ran beside her was because wherever her footsteps turned, chances were there was a wall or something else in his way.

“Damn it, why is there never an alley when you need one!”

"Excellent question." He thought.

Volpe growled, hoping to get her attention. He couldn't speak correctly with the blasted bird in his mouth. "'Et on." He muttered around the bird, hoping Iapto would understand at least some part of that. He tossed his head and suddenly lowered it, his antlers nearly grazing her shoulder. " 'Et on," he growled again, nudging her with his antler again.

Get on. Ugh. Volpe couldn't believe he was telling a human to get on his back. Hopefully, a theif was good at climbing. It's possible she could grab his fur, despite it's relatively short length, and hoist herself up. Or maybe just hop on... or something. That is if she understood him or agreed with him at all. It would work better for the both of them though. He couldn't see. She couldn't run much faster than that mob.

Back to top Go down
Forrgotenrose
Admin
Forrgotenrose

Thick as Thieves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thick as Thieves   Thick as Thieves EmptyWed Jun 01, 2011 3:57 pm

Volpe growled to himself muttering things around the chicken. Iapto ignored him, she was a little busy navigating the street ahead of her. There was a shout from behind, reminding her why she was running, and a brick narrowly missed her shoulder. “Stop with the bricks!” She yelled over her shoulder.

"'Et on." Volpe muttered around the chicken.

“Pardon?” Iapto asked, jerking to one side as his antlers swooped towards her. “GAH!” She yelped.

"'Et on." He repeated, nudging her with his horn again. Iapto stared at him, startled, before jerking into a faster run as she felt a hand swipe at her braid.

“You’ve got to be kidding me.” She muttered, none the less she angled towards him. Grabbing the scruff of his neck, and swinging herself onto his back, before reaching over and yanking the chicken out of his mouth. She held the chicken in one hand, pulling a face at it. “Why am I on the back of a blind Shinlai?” She barked at him, hanging onto his necklace with one hand and bouncing around on his back.

((I'M ON A TYPING ROLLL))
Back to top Go down
Blue
Friend of Adlai
Blue

Thick as Thieves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thick as Thieves   Thick as Thieves EmptyWed Jun 01, 2011 5:41 pm

(Lol, "stop with the bricks" XD )

“Why am I on the back of a blind Shinlai?”

Volpe spit dirty white feathers out of his mouth, disgusting. Why did he pick a chicken of all things? Why not a nice, fat goose? Had he known all this greif would come about he would have taken the goose. He glanced back at Iapto, eyeing her with some annoyance. He couldn't believe he had to run into her of all people. Talk about a last resort.

Volpe snorted, his nostrils flaring. He tossed his head and put on a burst of speed, leaving the pursuing mob far behind. "These streets aren't exactly the easiest to navigate. You have eyes. I have speed and stamina- which you clearly don't. It's a win-win situation. Look. Just tell me how to get out of this Dalia-forsaken place." He looked over his shoulder at her again, "By the way, that bird's my next meal. Drop that and I'll drop you right down a flight of stairs."
Back to top Go down
Forrgotenrose
Admin
Forrgotenrose

Thick as Thieves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thick as Thieves   Thick as Thieves EmptyWed Jun 01, 2011 6:35 pm

Iapto shifted around trying to get comfortable on the Shinlai’s back. It was awkward going, a smelly dead chicken in one hand, and trying to hang onto Volpe with the other. She eyed the chicken with disgust. "These streets aren't exactly the easiest to navigate. You have eyes. I have speed and stamina- which you clearly don't. It's a win-win situation. Look. Just tell me how to get out of this Dalia-forsaken place. By the way, that bird's my next meal. Drop that and I'll drop you right down a flight of stairs." Volpe said looking over his shoulder at her. She wasn’t sure why though.

“Fine.” Iapto snapped. She shoved the neck of the chicken into her belt, making sure it wouldn’t fall off, and hung onto Volpe’s fur with both hands. She crouched lower over Volpe’s back eye’s flicking back and forth across the street. She spotted an alleyway to their right.

“Hard right... Now!” She ordered, automatically tugging his fur and leaning to the right. She just hopped he wouldn’t miss, that would be bad for the pair of them.
Back to top Go down
Blue
Friend of Adlai
Blue

Thick as Thieves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thick as Thieves   Thick as Thieves EmptyWed Jun 01, 2011 10:33 pm

“Fine.”

"Excellent," Volpe said smoothly, a smile on his face.

“Hard right... Now!”

Volpe skidden so hard in his hurry to stop he probably pitched Iapto forward a bit. He scrabbled along the cobblestone road, trying to right his feet under him again. "Oh, thanks for the warning!" He snapped as he ran into the alleyway. He snorted uneasily as he felt the walls get a little too close for comfort. At places he had to shove his way through the alley, just slipping by. He was lucky he fit in here at all. He slowed his pace slightly, wary of the way alleys tended to weave through cities.

"Where to now, O Navigator?" He asked, coming out into the open street once more and slowing temporarily to a trot. The mob had gone around, they couldn't all fit in the alleyway afterall. Yet some still pursued. Probably another couple turns and they would loose the throng.
Back to top Go down
Forrgotenrose
Admin
Forrgotenrose

Thick as Thieves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thick as Thieves   Thick as Thieves EmptyThu Jun 02, 2011 2:57 pm

Volpe slid to a stop, almost flinging Iapto into his neck. She sat up and blew her hair out of her eyes. "Oh, thanks for the warning!" Volpe snapped running down the alley. The alley narrowed and Iapto had to pull her legs up so she was half crouched, half kneeling on Volpe’s back.

“Oh yes? And what would you like?” She asked curtly. “A countdown maybe? Me to ‘point’ the way? Or how about I get some reins and ride you like a little pony?” Iapto quizzed, her voice laced with sarcasm. She sat back down on his back with a bump as they left the alley.

"Where to now, O Navigator?" He asked slowing to a trot. Iapto sat up straight and scanned the streets. Most of the mob was finding a way into their street, but the people here didn’t seem to know what was going on, looking around and talking amongst themselves.

“Alright... think, think, think...” Iapto muttered to herself. She had entered this town from the east, but the street they were in went from north to south. “South.” Iapto said determinedly. “That’s a left.” She added.
Back to top Go down
Blue
Friend of Adlai
Blue

Thick as Thieves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thick as Thieves   Thick as Thieves EmptyThu Jun 02, 2011 3:34 pm

“Oh yes? And what would you like? A countdown maybe? Me to ‘point’ the way? Or how about I get some reins and ride you like a little pony?”

Volpe growled, annoyed. "Or maybe you could tell me when it's coming up? How about how many strides it is away? It can't be that hard to figure out- use that head of yours. Oh wait, it's probably damaged isn't it?"

“Alright... think, think, think...”

"Careful, you don't want to hurt yourself." Volpe barked laughter, greatly amused by his own joke. He felt Iapto sit a bit taller, probably looking around for a way to get out.

“South.”

"I'm not a compass."

“That’s a left.”

"That's better." Volpe took an immediate left, and slammed head first into a wall. "FRICK." He backed up, shaking his head clear and straightened his path along the street. Well- relatively straight. Volpe tended to drift to the left or right as he walked.
Back to top Go down
Forrgotenrose
Admin
Forrgotenrose

Thick as Thieves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thick as Thieves   Thick as Thieves EmptyThu Jun 02, 2011 4:29 pm

"Or maybe you could tell me when it's coming up? How about how many strides it is away? It can't be that hard to figure out- use that head of yours. Oh wait, it's probably damaged isn't it?"

Iapto clipped him round the back of the head. “Watch your mouth or I get off and leave you to the mob.” She snapped. “And I’ll take the chicken.” She added. She was much smaller than Volpe, she’d be able to hide quicker and faster than he would.

"That's better. Try to guess, how long does the street go on for until I have to turn?" He said turning a little too far and head butting a wall. Again.

Iapto slipped and scrambled to stay on his back, even as Volpe started walking. She hauled herself onto his back again, muttering quietly. “Three hundred feet or so then take a right.” She instructed sitting up as straight as possible, trying to guess what was round the corner. “And you may want to hurry up. I think people are catching on...” She said urgently.
Back to top Go down
Blue
Friend of Adlai
Blue

Thick as Thieves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thick as Thieves   Thick as Thieves EmptyThu Jun 02, 2011 5:38 pm

Volpe felt a sharp thump at the back of his head, "Hey! Don't hit me!" “Watch your mouth or I get off and leave you to the mob.” "I'm not going down alone. You leave me to the mob and I'll chase you and take you with me." “And I’ll take the chicken.” Volpe grumbled something inaudibly.

“Three hundred feet or so then take a right.”

Volpe sighed. "Not feet, they make little sense to me. Can't exactly measure them too well can I? Strides. Unless you want to run me into another wall," He insisted.

“And you may want to hurry up. I think people are catching on...”

Volpe picked up his pace to... something comparable to a horses canter- but it was no longer a full out gallop. "Right?" Volpe turned without confirmation, nearly crashing into another wall before he turned into the alleyway. Instead he skimmed the side wall though, nearly taking Iapto's leg off.

He ran through the alleyway better than he did on the street. Even though there were more turns, the close walls directed him exactly where they needed to go.

Volpe kept running, and eventually splashed right into the shallows of water. "Water?!" He whispered, mostly to himself. He started backing up clumsily. There wasn't enough room to turn around. It... it must be a canal or something. A river that flowed right through the city perhaps. Point being- it stopped Volpe right in his tracks. "Is there a bridge or... or path? Something across it?" He asked Iapto. It was too late to turn back, the mob was probably closing in.

(Pffft- lame twist plz XD )
Back to top Go down
Forrgotenrose
Admin
Forrgotenrose

Thick as Thieves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thick as Thieves   Thick as Thieves EmptyThu Jun 02, 2011 5:56 pm

"Right?" Volpe asked turning as he said it.

“No not ye-GAH!” She yelped as her leg scrapped along the wall. She looked down at her leg, her trousers were ripped at the knee and there was blood staining the cloth. She pulled her leg up and checked the wound. Just a scrape, nothing major. She swung her leg back down, just in time for Volpe to stop abruptly, and started backing up.

"Water?! Is there a bridge or... or path? Something across it?" Volpe asked, a faint trace of panic in his voice.

“We do not have time for this.” Iapto snapped, she swung her leg over his back and dropped onto the ground. She pulled the chicken from her belt and shoved it in his mouth. “Shut up and trust me for a minute.” She said slightly softer.

She had completely forgotten that Volpe hated water. She had seen him get splashed once, and his reaction was like he had been hit with acid. She reached up and grabbed his necklace. “Follow exactly where I walk.” She instructed, stepping deeper into the water, feeling with her feet before moving forwards.

“Why were you stealing chickens Volpe?” She abruptly asked. She needed to keep him distracted. Echo had gotten her to talk when he had stitched up her side.

((trust the theifffff o3o))
Back to top Go down
Blue
Friend of Adlai
Blue

Thick as Thieves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thick as Thieves   Thick as Thieves EmptyThu Jun 02, 2011 7:31 pm

“We do not have time for this.”

Volpe felt Iapto slide of his back, heard her land with a thump on the ground. "Where are you going?" He asked, his voice suspicious but urgent. She couldn't leave him here. She wouldn't. Or at least he hoped not. Iapto shoved the chicken towards Volpe. He reluctantly took hold of it. What was she doing?

“Shut up and trust me for a minute.” Her voice was softer than normal. Usually whenever she talked she was snapping or making some snide remark.

Volpe shifted his weight from one side to the other. He'd been trusting her this whole time, following her directions. What reason did he have not to trust her now. Well- she could drown him. The thought sent a shiver down Volpe's spine. Iapto reached up and grabbed Volpe's scarf-like necklace. She tugged on it, trying to pull him into the water. “Follow exactly where I walk.” Volpe whined softly under his breath. He didn't like this. This wasn't good. He could drown. He should turn around right now-

“Why were you stealing chickens Volpe?”

The question interrupted Volpe's thoughts, caught him off guard. He held the chicken by it's wing, so it was a bit easier to talk around it. "I was hungry- still am actually. Haven't been able to eat the wretched bird yet. There's not too many things I can catch on my own. Around here there's even less to scavenge."

Not good, the water was at his knees now. "We should really turn back, there's probably a back way out of the city... or something..." He looked back over his shoulder (not that that helped much) the land couldn't be that far away. They could still turn around.

(Lol- suddenly reminded of this )
Back to top Go down
Forrgotenrose
Admin
Forrgotenrose

Thick as Thieves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thick as Thieves   Thick as Thieves EmptyFri Jun 03, 2011 2:34 pm

Iapto let Volpe talk, but focused mainly on where she was walking, the water was up to her waist, but was only at Volpe’s knees. ‘Well I’ll drown first if this gets any deeper at least.’ She mused sliding her foot along the bottom of the water. And nearly slid off the side of a sharp drop.

"We should really turn back, there's probably a back way out of the city... Or something..." Volpe said looking back the way they had came.

“You’re right.” She replied shifting towards the wall away from the centre of the river. “But there’s an angry mob waiting for you to show your face.” She said. She turned so she was facing him, still holding the necklace in one hand, with her other hand she put it on Volpe’s shoulder and gently made him side step until against the wall.

“We’re on a ledge about two feet wide. Or half a stride.” She explained quickly. “Keep your shoulder against the wall. I can see a rout up to the street, about twenty strides away.” She said.

She started walking backwards, one hand on his shoulder, one holding his necklace, sliding one foot back, then the other. Still feeling the way, even if she wasn’t looking where she was going.

And she had lied, the opening was closer to fifty strides away. But she didn’t want Volpe to panic and try to run.

“Where did you get this?” She asked, turning the silver necklace charm over in her hand. It seemed to be made of silver, and what looked like some kind of snake eating its tail.
Back to top Go down
Blue
Friend of Adlai
Blue

Thick as Thieves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thick as Thieves   Thick as Thieves EmptyFri Jun 03, 2011 8:27 pm

“You’re right. But there’s an angry mob waiting for you to show your face.”

"The very reason I have antlers. Maybe for once I can put them to good use," Volpe grumbled. He shivered slightly under Iapto's touch, not expecting it. He moved over as she pushed him, trusting that she wouldn't push him into deeper water. He felt a wall on his opposite shoulder and pressed himself to it.

“We’re on a ledge about two feet wide. Or half a stride. Keep your shoulder against the wall. I can see a rout up to the street, about twenty strides away.”

"You don't have to ask me twice." Volpe practically plastered himself against the wall with how close he stuck to it. The last thing he wanted to do was walk right off the edge into deeper water. Needless to say, Volpe couldn't swim.

At a tug on his necklace Volpe started walking carefully forward, following Iapto closely.

"Where did you get this?"

"My father gave it to me actually. I'm... 19 now. So when I left at... 14 she gave this to me. I left home earlier than most Shinlai. It's an ouroborus, a serpent devouring it's own tail. It symbolizes immortality, eternity, and a never ending cycle and is a well-used symbol in alchemy. The only reason I know what it looks like is because I saw it before many times, before I was blinded that is."

Volpe frowned, it had been way over 20 strides now. At least 40. "Are we there yet? You're not very good at estimating."
Back to top Go down
Forrgotenrose
Admin
Forrgotenrose

Thick as Thieves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thick as Thieves   Thick as Thieves EmptySat Jun 04, 2011 4:14 pm

Iapto listened to him talk, but at his age she looked up at him sharply. “You’re young.” She said, a cross between pointing out the obvious and surprise. He was the youngest Lai she had met, or at least the youngest by itself.

"Are we there yet? You're not very good at estimating." Volpe asked with a frown.

Iapto pulled a face and looked back over her shoulder. It wasn’t far now. “Ah, well, I am actually.” She said slowly still moving backwards. “I’m just better at lying.” She said awkwardly clearing her throat. They were pretty much there, she just had to make sure he didn’t bolt, that and she didn’t know what was around the corner.
Back to top Go down
Blue
Friend of Adlai
Blue

Thick as Thieves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thick as Thieves   Thick as Thieves EmptySun Jun 05, 2011 9:52 pm

“You’re young.”

Shoot. He hadn't meant to let that out. He could hear the surprise in her voice. "Hm? Oh. Yeah. I try not to let others know my age, slip of the tongue. What are you, 20?" Volpe frowned. That was annoying. This girl was older than him? "I could be wrong. I might have only left home a couple years ago, rather than five. It's unimportant, I forget. I could be older." He spoke quicker towards the end and said that last part rather half-heartedly. Clearly he had a hard time of convincing even himself.

“Ah, well, I am actually. I’m just better at lying.”

Volpe picked up the pace slightly, forcing Iapto to speed up if she didn't want to get run over. "Fine." He disregarded her lying quickly, he was more interested in what was ahead. "When we get out of this wretched waterway hop on my back and we'll get out of here. What's outside the city? Farmland? Forest? I came in on the opposite side of the place."
Back to top Go down
Forrgotenrose
Admin
Forrgotenrose

Thick as Thieves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thick as Thieves   Thick as Thieves EmptyMon Jun 06, 2011 9:50 am

"Hm? Oh. Yeah. I try not to let others know my age, slip of the tongue. What are you, 20? I could be wrong. I might have only left home a couple years ago, rather than five. It's unimportant, I forget. I could be older." Volpe said hastily.

“I’m 25... Or 26.” Iapto replied with a smirk. “And don’t backtrack so quickly on your words. It makes you look guilty.” She added.

She shifted back a little quicker as Volpe speed up. "Fine. When we get out of this wretched waterway hop on my back and we'll get out of here. What's outside the city? Farmland? Forest? I came in on the opposite side of the place." He said, dismissing her lie.

“I came through forest on the way here.” She replied, she had stashed her bag in a tree, a habit she had when entering towns. She stopped, letting Volpe bump into her. They had reached the way up to the street. “Stay quiet.” She whispered, she peered around the corner, nothing but a short empty street onto the main road. There was a tall ledge that separated the river from the street. She hauled herself up and crouched on the road. Reaching down and guiding Volpe’s head so he could feel the ledge. It wasn’t too tall next to him, just above his knees, an easy enough obstacle to overcome. “Once you’re up, stay next to the wall while I check around the corner.” She muttered. The street was short and if they weren’t careful they could plough into the mob.
Back to top Go down
Blue
Friend of Adlai
Blue

Thick as Thieves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thick as Thieves   Thick as Thieves EmptyWed Jun 08, 2011 11:49 pm

“I’m 25... Or 26.” Iapto replied with a smirk. “And don’t backtrack so quickly on your words. It makes you look guilty.” She added.

Volpe frowned but said nothing. There was another thing about her that just grated on his nerves, she was older. "Not that big a difference...." He muttered to himself.

“I came through forest on the way here.”

"Plenty of space for cover then. It's not that hard to hide amongst a bit of trees."

“Stay quiet.”

Volpe cocked his head, listening to her pick herself up a ledge. He jerked his head back, surprised at her touch but returned to her hand when he realized she was guiding him. He felt the ledge, dragging one of his antlers against it (in an attempt to avoid hitting his head on something- again). It wasn't too tall, he could easily get up there.

“Once you’re up, stay next to the wall while I check around the corner.”

Volpe climbed up and immediately shook his coat free of water, likely soaking Iapto. "Disgusting...." He muttered to himself. He sat by the wall, waiting for Iapto to say the cost was clear. Volpe dropped the chicken between his paws, finally clearing his mouth of all those nasty feathers. "I told you why I was stealing. But why were you?"
Back to top Go down
Forrgotenrose
Admin
Forrgotenrose

Thick as Thieves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thick as Thieves   Thick as Thieves EmptyFri Jun 10, 2011 1:56 pm

Iapto turned back to the street and crept along the wall. Hearing Volpe mutter "Disgusting...." and shake himself free of the water.

She ignored his muttering and reached the corner of the building, looking around carefully. She could see the mob further up the street, seemingly debating about how to follow and where they may have gone. She looked to the street directly across from them. It wasn’t empty of people, but it was defiantly better than the mob.

She scuttled back to Volpe in a half crouch. "I told you why I was stealing. But why were you?" Volpe said dropping the chicken, she scooped it up, avoiding the slobbery bits, and tucked it into her belt again.

“Well it’s obvious why you were stealing. You’re scrawny as anything right now.” Iapto commented to him, standing by his side ready to get on his back again. “And it should be obvious as to why I’m stealing.” She continued. “I am a thief after all. It’s generally what we do and how we got our name.” She added.

“Anyway,” She said changing the topic. “There’s a street directly ahead of us, if we can get down there quick enough we may be able to get out of the town without a pack of humans on our heels.” She said affirmatively. She climbed onto his back again. “Just try to stay in a straight line...” She added with a slight moan.
Back to top Go down
Blue
Friend of Adlai
Blue

Thick as Thieves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thick as Thieves   Thick as Thieves EmptySun Jun 12, 2011 12:57 am

“Well it’s obvious why you were stealing. You’re scrawny as anything right now.”

Volpe lifted a paw to his belly real quick. He wasn't really that skinny was he? He couldn't tell if Iapto was making fun of him or was honestly serious. It wouldn't surprise Volpe himself if he had a few ribs showing. He didn't like it though, it made him look weak. "I'm not that skinny," he said indignantly.

“And it should be obvious as to why I’m stealing. I am a thief after all. It’s generally what we do and how we got our name.”

"Excuse me for thinking perhaps there was a more redeeming reason." Volpe scoffed. "I wasn't aware that theiving was an actual occupation."

“Anyway, there’s a street directly ahead of us, if we can get down there quick enough we may be able to get out of the town without a pack of humans on our heels. Just try to stay in a straight line...”

Volpe shot a grin at her, "I wasn't aware you referred to your own kind as "humans". You speak of them as if they were wolves." Volpe chuckled, amused. He felt her stand beside him and reached around with his head, helping her onto his back. "Straight line? Got it." Volpe immediately broke into a fast run, hurtling down the street. Any humans in his way got out of there quick. He charged right through the middle of the mob, knocking over a few as he went past. Volpe sighed with relief when he felt the hard cobblestone change to soft grass but he didn't slow his gait until he felt leaves on the ground from nearby trees. They had reached the surrounding forest. Volpe huffed and slowed to a walk, finally stopping in a patch of sun that shone through the trees. Volpe jerked his head, "Alright. Off. I'm starving. Let me have that bird."
Back to top Go down
Forrgotenrose
Admin
Forrgotenrose

Thick as Thieves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thick as Thieves   Thick as Thieves EmptySun Jun 12, 2011 11:07 am

"I wasn't aware you referred to your own kind as "humans". You speak of them as if they were wolves." Volpe said before helping her onto his back.

“I was brought up by Shinlai and I hang out around Shinlai more than I do with humans.” Iapto said as he broke into a run across the street. “There are only a few humans I care for. And none of them are here right now.” She said curtly as the barrelled through the mob.

Luckily they were running at such a pace the mob would have no chance to keep up. She crouched low over his back as they ran into the forest, not wanting a stray branch to knock her off. "Alright. Off. I'm starving. Let me have that bird." Volpe ordered.

Iapto slid off of his back landing gently on the grass and took the bird by one leg. “Really?” She asked in slight disbelieving. The bird was dirty, covered in slobber and its limbs were sticking out at odd angles, as were its feathers. “Doesn’t seem much for that whole escapade.” She said, she dropped the bird at his feet anyway.

She paused for a few minutes, arms folded and thinking face on. “Ya know...” She said slowly. “If you give me a bit I could catch a deer.” She said with a slight shrug. The clearing they were in showed signs of deer passing through recently. Tracks on the ground, leaves ripped from the branches and in a few places, poop.
Back to top Go down
Blue
Friend of Adlai
Blue

Thick as Thieves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thick as Thieves   Thick as Thieves EmptySun Jun 12, 2011 1:35 pm

“I was brought up by Shinlai and I hang out around Shinlai more than I do with humans. There are only a few humans I care for. And none of them are here right now.”

Volpe was surprised by that. He hadn't before heard of such an instance where a Shinlai would take care of a human. But also that she would still prefer the company of Shinlai surprised him greater. Volpe couldn't say for sure, but if he were raised by humans he'd probably still prefer Shinlai.

“Really? Doesn’t seem much for that whole escapade.”

Volpe settled down on his side, the bird gripped between his forepaws as he made quick work of pulling the feathers off of it. "It was in better shape when I got the thing. It's not like there's much else to eat..." He said, giving a resentful look at the chicken. He shrugged, "Besides it still tastes the same. It's not like I care what it looks like."

“Ya know... if you give me a bit I could catch a deer.”

Volpe looked up, suddenly extremely interested. He got to his feet, leaving the chicken lying on the ground. He'd come back for it later. "Sounds good to me. Any way I can help?" Volpe was starving, the quicker they caught a deer the better.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Thick as Thieves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thick as Thieves   Thick as Thieves Empty

Back to top Go down

Thick as Thieves
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next