Shinlai Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is the Forum for the Deviantart Group; The Shinlai Community

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog inBack to dA
It's nearly spring! New growth, fresh flowers and light! Speaking of light, enjoy the new Dalia theme!
SILAS RULES DAILAH DROOLS!!
A big thank you to Toadfoal and Alana for the images of Silas, and to Mingo for making the new layout.

Thick as Thieves

Go down 
2 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Forrgotenrose
Admin
Forrgotenrose

Thick as Thieves - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thick as Thieves   Thick as Thieves - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 12, 2011 3:16 pm

"Sounds good to me. Any way I can help?" He said eagerly, climbing to his feet.

Iapto tilted her head to one side. “I’ll need to get my bag, it’s got my stuff in it and I’ll need it to catch the deer.” She said starting to walk off to get her bag. “Give me a shout if any humans turned up wanting their chicken back.”

She hesitated in mid stride. Realising Volpe wouldn’t know what name to shout, she might not realise it was her he was shouting for if he called for Ella. “Shout for Iapto.” She said curtly. “Enjoy the chicken for now!” She called over her shoulder as she scuttled off between the trees.

She jogged quickly through the trees, looking for the dead birch tree her bag was stashed in. It couldn’t be that far away, it wasn’t that big a town. After a few minutes she found the tree and briskly scaled the trunk and into the branches. Snagging the large and slightly heavy bag from the top limbs. She quickly checked everything was still inside and hadn’t been tampered with, before making her way down the tree.
Back to top Go down
http://forrgotenrose.deviantart.com/
Blue
Friend of Adlai
Blue

PostSubject: Re: Thick as Thieves   Thick as Thieves - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 13, 2011 11:37 am

“I’ll need to get my bag, it’s got my stuff in it and I’ll need it to catch the deer. Give me a shout if any humans turned up wanting their chicken back.”

"I doubt it." Volpe said as he settled back down on the ground, once more plucking feathers from the chicken. "I don't think they would come this far out for either of us. That is, depending on how much jewelry you stole." Volpe said with a grin.

He heard her walk away, and carefully measured her footsteps, getting to know how they sounded. Unknown to most, different people had varying gaits. People thought they all walked the same, but some had a bit of a bounce or a skip, other people tended to bring their foot down with more force than necessary. Elle was very quiet when she walked, she stepped lightly, and had a bit of a brisk pace. She hesitated and Volpe looked in her direction. "Something wrong?"

“Shout for Iapto. Enjoy the chicken for now!”

Volpe cocked his head, he would normally assume it was another alias but why would she correct her former name? Huh. Volpe grinned, Iapto, what an interesting name.

Volpe went back to the chicken, tearing the last of the feathers out. He pulled away it's breast meat. He can't say it tasted fantastic, but it was fresh and filled his belly a bit.

(Actually I didn't need to edit it :/ I forgot that I left that there XD )
Back to top Go down
http://sirius-brightstar.deviantart.com/
Blue
Friend of Adlai
Blue

PostSubject: Re: Thick as Thieves   Thick as Thieves - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 14, 2011 11:26 pm

Bump- just to let you know I finished the post :)
Back to top Go down
Forrgotenrose
Admin
Forrgotenrose

PostSubject: Re: Thick as Thieves   Thick as Thieves - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 15, 2011 1:01 pm

Iapto landed from the tree lightly and pulled her backpack on. Meandering through the trees on the outskirts of the town, scanning around for any sign of which way the deer went. There were a few tracks here and there but no firm sign of where they were. She reached the clearing and found Volpe surrounded by a pile of feathers. “Enjoying that?” She asked, hitching her bag higher up.

She circled the clearing, looking for which way the deer had gone, following the fresh footprints in the mud and grass. She followed a little way before looking back to Volpe. “The deer went this way, there’s a few low branches so you might want to keep your head down. Unless you want me to drag the deer back here?” She said.

((sorry about the wait. I got distracted last night >> ))
Back to top Go down
Blue
Friend of Adlai
Blue

PostSubject: Re: Thick as Thieves   Thick as Thieves - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 16, 2011 4:33 pm

"Enjoying that?"

"You can't even fathom how much I am enjoying this," Volpe said dryly, blowing some of the feathers towards Iapto. "When it comes down to it I stole a sack of feathers as opposed to a potential meal." Volpe pulled the last of the breast meat off the chicken, swallowing it quickly.

“The deer went this way, there’s a few low branches so you might want to keep your head down. Unless you want me to drag the deer back here?”

Volpe stood and shook his coat, freeing any stray feathers from his fur. "Nope, I'm coming." Volpe padded after her, his forepaws drifting unusually low to the ground when he walked, trying to feel for fallen logs or oversized rocks that could trip him up. Luckily, it didn't cause too much noise, although he was louder than Iapto.

"I can catch a deer as long as there's a straight dash for it. If you point one out I can catch it." Volpe offered. He didn't like that Iapto was the only productive one among the two of them, surely Volpe could do something.

(No problem! :) )
Back to top Go down
Forrgotenrose
Admin
Forrgotenrose

PostSubject: Re: Thick as Thieves   Thick as Thieves - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 17, 2011 6:11 am

"I can catch a deer as long as there's a straight dash for it. If you point one out, I can catch it." Volpe said determinedly.

She glanced back at him, about to comment that he wouldn’t see it if she pointed it out, and frowned at the way he was walking. Feet low, toes spread out, like he was feeling the ground. She closed her mouth and turned back to where she was walking. She continued through the forest, swinging her bag around so she could rummage through it. Under the coat, couple of masks she still had, she could feel some rope. “Got cha.” She muttered and started pulling it out of the bag, winding it around her arm so it wouldn’t trail on the ground.

The crack of a twig up ahead made her stop. “Whoa, shh, I think I can hear them.” She said softly. She propped her bag up against the tree and quickly tied the rope into a lasso. “I’ll circle around and direct them towards you.” She said, hoping he’d be able to tackle one if she timed it right. If not, she had a lasso and two knives.

She crouched down low and crept around to the back of the heard. There was about fifteen of them, three bucks and the rest doe’s. Staying low she peered over a shrub, watching them graze in a small clearing. She reached down and picked up a stick, snapping it with a clear ‘crack’ as expected the heards head’s all lurched up and stared in her direction, some of them skittered away slightly, directly towards where she had left Volpe.
Back to top Go down
Blue
Friend of Adlai
Blue

PostSubject: Re: Thick as Thieves   Thick as Thieves - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 17, 2011 9:38 am

“Got cha.”

Volpe sensed Iapto's hesitation and guessed what she was about to say. "I don't mean literally point them out but... tell me where they are or the straightest path to one. Besides, I have ears, I can hear better than most," Volpe said, sounding a bit insulted. "I'm not entirely useless."

“Whoa, shh, I think I can hear them.” Iapto said softly. “I’ll circle around and direct them towards you.”

"Alright." Volpe lowered himself closer to the ground, his brown coat blending in with the surrounding bramble and trees pretty well. Volpe cocked his head, able to hear them to. There were quiet a few, an unusually large herd, at least from Volpe's experience. He shifted his weight a little, ready to jump up and snap one of the deer. He heard a clear 'crack' and immediately following hoofbeats, close by. Volpe jumped up and ran towards the noise, mouth open and teeth flashing. He barreled into one of the deer, his horns lowered to knock it over. Once it was off it's feet he pounced on it's throat, ending it's cries with teeth in it's jugular. It would be dead within seconds. The rest of the deer scattered further into the forest.
Back to top Go down
Forrgotenrose
Admin
Forrgotenrose

PostSubject: Re: Thick as Thieves   Thick as Thieves - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 18, 2011 6:32 pm

Iapto could hear heavy footsteps and a crash as bodies hit the floor. She stood up to look over the shrub and saw the rest of the deer bolting towards her. She gave a yelped curse and crouched, covering her head. Hearing the crashing of hooves as they flashed past, kicking up the ground and flinging mud around at her. The crashing around quieted down as the deer sped away from them. Iapto sighed quietly and combed bits of mud and twig from her hair. She stood up and looked around for Volpe. He was atop a deer his jaws around its throat. The deer seemed to be dead. Or at least it wasn’t twitching anymore.

“Well that went smoothly enough.” She said stepping around the shrub and moving towards them. “Do you like your meat rare or well done?” She joked, looping the rope across her chest and over one shoulder.

“I quite like mine medium rare, but hey.” She said with a shrug. “Either way, shall I start a fire?” She asked.
Back to top Go down
Blue
Friend of Adlai
Blue

PostSubject: Re: Thick as Thieves   Thick as Thieves - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 19, 2011 11:25 pm

“Well that went smoothly enough.”

"Surprisingly so, actually." Volpe cocked his head, "I wasn't expecting that. Stupid creature practically jumped right into my mouth." Volpe sat back on his haunches, looking rather satisfied.

“Do you like your meat rare or well done? I quite like mine medium rare, but hey.”

Volpe glanced towards Iapto, his expression intrigued. "Actually I've never cooked it." Volpe tilted his head, suddenly curious, "Would it taste any different?"

“Either way, shall I start a fire?”

"Sure. If you have a piece of glass, such as a magnifying glass, I can light something quite a bit quicker than you can. You must have stolen something of the sort from all your pick-pocketing, no?" Volpe lifted a forepaw and dragged it over his mask, feeling for the right places. He pushed down and slid the mask off of his face, the metal piercings gently letting go of their counterparts. He laid it at the base of a near-by tree. "Don't let me forget that." He said to Iapto. He turne back to the deer. "Were you going to carve it up or was I just going to pull chunks of meat off for you to cook?" He laughed softly.

(I'm sorry this took me so long to reply to D: )
Back to top Go down
Forrgotenrose
Admin
Forrgotenrose

PostSubject: Re: Thick as Thieves   Thick as Thieves - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 20, 2011 9:32 am

"Surprisingly so, actually. I wasn't expecting that. Stupid creature practically jumped right into my mouth." Volpe said looking rather proud of the kill. Iapto grinned and crouched next to the deer, pulling its head around by the ear, to get a look at it.

"Actually I've never cooked it. Would it taste any different?" Volpe asked curiously, tilting his head.

Iapto shrugged. “I have no idea. I’ve never tried it raw.” She said with a grin. “I like the taste, as long as it doesn’t get completely burnt, that kills the taste.” She added.

"Sure. If you have a piece of glass, such as a magnifying glass, I can light something quite a bit quicker than you can. You must have stolen something of the sort from all of your pick-pocketing, no?" Volpe said, as he spoke he reached up to his mask and pulled it off. "Don't let me forget that."

Iapto hesitated, both thinking, and getting distracted by the mask. “Um, yeah. Yeah I might have something.” She quickly trotted over to her bag and dragged it over to the deer. Sitting down cross-legged she rummaged through the bag, until she found what she was looking for. She pulled out a pair of glasses hanging from a long gold chain. “I snatched it mainly for the chain, but the glass will do.” She said, unclipping the chain and shoving it back into her bag.

"Were you going to carve it up or was I just going to pull chunks of meat off for you to cook?" Volpe asked with a small laugh.

Iapto grinned. “If you can try and start a fire with this.” She pressed the glasses into his paw and pulled some tinder from her bag, placing in front, but not too close to him. “I’ll hack this thing up.” She said, drawing her knives and grabbing the head of the deer. Other than the bite marks the pelt was relatively intact and undamaged. She may as well skin it and sell the pelt to a leather worker or tanner.

She took her gauntlets off and rolled up her sleeves to the elbow, before setting to work on it. She was quiet for a moment before asking. “What’s your mask made of?” She enquired casually. She could see it from the corner of her eye and was itching to look at it closer, once she’d finished with the deer. She doubted Volpe would like blood all over it.
Back to top Go down
Blue
Friend of Adlai
Blue

PostSubject: Re: Thick as Thieves   Thick as Thieves - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 20, 2011 4:27 pm

“I have no idea. I’ve never tried it raw.” She said with a grin. “I like the taste, as long as it doesn’t get completely burnt, that kills the taste.”

Volpe laughed softly, "Very true."

“Um, yeah. Yeah I might have something.”

Volpe heard Iapto dragging her bag over and her hand pushing random trinkets and whatever else she had stolen aside. He heard a light jingle and felt Iapto press something into his paw. It was two round surfaces attached to a metal frame... glasses?

“I snatched it mainly for the chain, but the glass will do. If you can try and start a fire with this. I’ll hack this thing up.”

"Excellent." Volpe held the glasses up a bit, trying to maneuver them with his paws. When he had them at the right angle he reached out with his element. He created a small orb of light, as he often did but this time concentrated it and shined it so that it went directly through the glasses. Holding it there for a moment the tinder began to smoke and suddenly burst into a small flame. "There you go." Volpe said, sounding pleased with himself.

“What’s your mask made of?”

"My mask?" Volpe cocked his head, a bit puzzled as to why she would care. He shrugged, "Bamboo actually. It's sturdy, yet light. Most think it's oak because of the brown, it's actually just painted that. You can check it out if you'd like, just- don't take it." He added, thinking of Iapto's kleptomaniac tendencies. 'Why would she be interested in it at all?' He thought, suddenly a bit more on guard.
Back to top Go down
Forrgotenrose
Admin
Forrgotenrose

PostSubject: Re: Thick as Thieves   Thick as Thieves - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 20, 2011 5:46 pm

"Excellent." Volpe said, and fumbled around with the glasses. A few moments past, where he generated a small light orb. "There you go." He said proudly, as the tinder caught.

Iapto quickly grabbed a few stray twigs and sticks. Stuffing them into the fire so the flame wouldn’t die. “Well that was easy.” Iapto said with a smile.

"My mask? Bamboo actually. It's sturdy, yet light. Most think it's oak because of the brown, it's actually just painted that. You can check it out if you'd like, just- don't take it." Volpe said, looking puzzled.

“I won’t take it.” Iapto reassured. ‘I only take mask that are no longer needed...’ She added glumly to herself. “I’ll look at it in a bit. Masks interest me, they’re all different, both in looks, way they’re made...” She said. She finished cutting the pelt and pulled it off the deer, pulling a face and muttering ‘ugh’ under her breath. She hauled the skin over to a tree and flung it over a branch. She would have to find a river later to wash it. She grabbed a couple of large sticks and put them on the fire.

“Right that took a little longer than I thought. If you want some of it now go ahead. I’ll cook the leftovers.” Iapto said sitting back on her haunches.

((Kleptomaniac!!!! That's the word! I knew there was something that would fit her XD ))
Back to top Go down
Blue
Friend of Adlai
Blue

PostSubject: Re: Thick as Thieves   Thick as Thieves - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 20, 2011 8:00 pm

“I won’t take it.”

"If you say so...."

“I’ll look at it in a bit. Masks interest me, they’re all different, both in looks, way they’re made...”

"Masks interest me very little. They're frivilous things, very rarely showing a purpose other than to hide one's face." Volpe frowned, drawing his mask closer and feeling it's features with his paws. He shrugged, "Besides, I don't even know what colors or patterns this one has. I received it after I was blinded. I've almost no use for it." He set it down again and instead pulled the deer closer in his forepaws. He licked his lips and tucked in, ripping off part of the shoulder meat. He figured Iapto would take the flanks and some of the surrounding meat there.
Back to top Go down
Forrgotenrose
Admin
Forrgotenrose

PostSubject: Re: Thick as Thieves   Thick as Thieves - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 20, 2011 8:29 pm

"Masks interest me very little. They're frivolous things, very rarely showing a purpose other than to hide one's face." Volpe said frowning and running a paw over his mask. ”Besides, I don't even know what colours or patterns this one has. I received it after I was blinded. I've almost no use for it." He added, he put the mask down and started chewing away on the deer.

Iapto wiped her hands on the grass and scooted closer to him, carefully picking up the mask. It was lighter than she had expected. She hefted it in her hands, light, but still heavy to her. She turned in back and forth, looking at the jaw clips and the shape of it. The three spikes looked as though they could do a lot of damage if used correctly. It was carved well, clearly a lot of care had been put into it.

“Dark brown.” She said quietly. “The main colour is dark brown. A light sandy colour is painted on around the eye holes, with a small line under the centre eye, it covers the end of your nose from your front eye forwards. The three spikes on the forehead are also light sand in colour.” She described, running a hand over the face of it.

She paused looking over at him, trying to recall everything that Dagda had taught her about the Shinlai culture, as well as what she had learned. “Your masks are to show that you are in control of your element. Some wear them from pride of their element and skills, to others it could be a family heirloom. Mostly... Its tradition. Sets Shinlai apart from other creatures and gives a sense of belonging.” She said softly.

“Sorry, I was rambling. I mean what do I know. I’m just a human.” She said abruptly, looking at the mask one last time before setting it down next to Volpe. “They’re just important to your kind.” She said rather bluntly, standing up and moving back over to her bag.

She sat down with a bump and started pulling things out of her bag, placing them on the ground next to her. Checking everything was there and nothing was missing. Amongst the items and junk were two Shinlai masks, she put them down quietly before taking her coat and spare clothes, wrapping them tightly around the masks.

"Let me know when you're done with that." She stated curtly.
Back to top Go down
Blue
Friend of Adlai
Blue

PostSubject: Re: Thick as Thieves   Thick as Thieves - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 20, 2011 11:22 pm

“Dark brown.” She said quietly. “The main colour is dark brown. A light sandy colour is painted on around the eye holes, with a small line under the centre eye, it covers the end of your nose from your front eye forwards. The three spikes on the forehead are also light sand in colour.”

Volpe listned closely, pictureing it in his mind. He knew the shape, but adding color to the black and white picture in his head was sort of a relief. It matched his own colors. Not such a bad mask after all, he thought, and cocked his head looking in the direction of the mask. "...Thank you." Volpe said softly when Iapto finished describing it.

“Your masks are to show that you are in control of your element. Some wear them from pride of their element and skills, to others it could be a family heirloom. Mostly... Its tradition. Sets Shinlai apart from other creatures and gives a sense of belonging.”

"I know...." Although, Volpe hadn't thought of that last part. Tradition. Set apart. Maybe... maybe he would start wearing it again. It wasn't like it harmed him. And he had never thought of that, that a mask could define a Shinlai.

“Sorry, I was rambling. I mean what do I know. I’m just a human.”

"A surprising amount, Iapto. More than I do." He murmured, still deep in thought. It was the first time he had addressed her by her name though.

"Let me know when you're done with that."

"This?" Volpe glanced at the deer and took one more large chunk of the meat, swallowing it quickly. "It's yours."

Volpe looked up at her, she had begun rummanging through her bag again. "Why do you care so much for masks? You take an unusual amount of interest in them." Volpe grinned, "I wouldn't be surprised if you had a few," He meant it as a joke, unaware of how true it was.
Back to top Go down
Forrgotenrose
Admin
Forrgotenrose

PostSubject: Re: Thick as Thieves   Thick as Thieves - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 8:30 am

"A surprising amount, Iapto. More than I do." Volpe muttered, looking like he was deep in thought. "This? It's yours." He said, ripping a last chunk out of the deer.

She grabbed it and started slicing away with one of her knives. There was a fair bit of meat left on it, some of which she might be able to sell or preserve. Now though, she was hungry. She cut off a few large pieces for Volpe to try cooked, and a few smaller pieces for herself, before turning to clean her knife.

"Why do you care so much for masks? You take an unusual amount of interest in them. I wouldn't be surprised if you had a few." Volpe said with a grin.

Iapto froze. One hand outstretched for her knife. Automatically her hand closed around the handle, and her eyes slid round to eyeball Volpe. She hadn’t mentioned the mask, he couldn’t see the mask. How did he know? She had a run in with a Shinlai who had screamed at her before attacking and chasing her. It wasn’t her fault she thought the body was abandoned. She wasn't going to let that happen twice.

“What makes you say that?” She asked with a guarded tone, her hand still gripping the knife, other hand hooking the two masks and shifting them behind her. “And I was brought up by Shinlai. The masks interest me more than the element most the time.” She said bluntly.
Back to top Go down
Blue
Friend of Adlai
Blue

PostSubject: Re: Thick as Thieves   Thick as Thieves - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 3:07 pm

Volpe listened to the methodic rasping of her knife as she slipped it through the meat of the deer. It must be sharp, with all the ease it seemed to cut through. Or, she could just be an unusually skilled butcher. It seemed she was done quickly though because soon he heard almost nothing but an occasionally squeak like cloth on metal, cleaning the blade of blood.

“What makes you say that?"

"I'm psychic." He said bluntly with a roll of his eyes, sarcasm thick in his voice. After a moment his eyes widened as his attention was drawn to her suddenly guarded tone. "Wait do you actually have masks with you?" He lifted his nose to the air, his nostrils flaring. But it was nearly impossible to catch the scent of ages old wood or paint. He leaned closer, curiosity getting the better of him, "Let me see. Or, you know, touch it." Volpe corrected himself, guessing Iapto would call him out for being blind again and unable to actually see anything at all.

“And I was brought up by Shinlai. The masks interest me more than the element most the time.”

"I don't understand how a mask can be more interesting than one's element. Then again- no eyes." Volpe said, distracted, still trying to smell a hint of paint in the air or some scent that would give away a mask.
Back to top Go down
Forrgotenrose
Admin
Forrgotenrose

PostSubject: Re: Thick as Thieves   Thick as Thieves - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 4:16 pm

"I'm psychic." He said, his voice dripping with sarcasm. There was a brief pause, where Iapto watched him expectantly. "Wait do you actually have masks with you? Let me see. Or, you know, touch it."

“And he’s clicked.” Iapto said to herself. She watched his eagerness, the way he let forwarded, sniffing the air. “But I thought that ‘Masks are frivolous things’ with ‘no more purpose other than to hide faces.’ Why the sudden interest?” Iapto said, repeating his words. She leant back away from him slightly, half surprised by his sudden interest.

"I don't understand how a mask can be more interesting than one's element. Then again- no eyes." He said distractedly.

“I can watch the manipulation of an element and be impressed with what they do. Interesting masks, both in looks and way they’re made, hold much more interest to me.” She said. “I’ll never manipulate an element, but I could make a mask if I tried. Albeit a crap one.” she added.
Back to top Go down
Blue
Friend of Adlai
Blue

PostSubject: Re: Thick as Thieves   Thick as Thieves - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 4:35 pm

“But I thought that ‘Masks are frivolous things’ with ‘no more purpose other than to hide faces.’ Why the sudden interest?”

"Because I can't believe it until I see it. You're either too gutsy or too stupid for your own good, and I'm not sure which one it is. Now stop avoiding the question." Volpe reached forward and dragged one of the masks closer, running one of his paws over the face delicately. He frowned upon recognizing it as his own and pushed it aside.

"They're practically held sacred. Even I have to admit- as much as I loathe it at times- I'd be... beyond furious if someone took it. Each mask is unique to the bearer. Where do you get them?" Volpe frowned and cocked his head, like he did when something puzzled him or worried him. "Or, perhaps more importantly, what do you do with them?"
Back to top Go down
Forrgotenrose
Admin
Forrgotenrose

PostSubject: Re: Thick as Thieves   Thick as Thieves - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 4:50 pm

"Because I can't believe it until I see it. You're either too gutsy or too stupid for your own good, and I'm not sure which one it is. Now stop avoiding the question." Reaching out and managing to grab his own mask, before shoving it aside.

That made Iapto narrow her eyes. She at least was smart enough to grab a chicken without smacking into a pile of crates. If it wasn’t for him she’d have been in and out of that town without a hitch.

"They're practically held sacred. Even I have to admit- as much as I loathe it at times- I'd be... beyond furious if someone took it. Each mask is unique to the bearer. Where do you get them? Or, perhaps more importantly, what do you do with them?" He said frowning and tilting his head to one side.

“I take them from the dead.” She said bluntly.

She lifted her chin and gripped her knife slightly tighter. Waiting for his reaction. “I travel, everywhere. If I find a body, I’ll take the mask.” She said guardedly. “The next village, town, or city, I’ll find the masking elder and give it to them. What they do with them is none of my concern.” She snapped. “As to why I do it, is none of your business.”
Back to top Go down
Blue
Friend of Adlai
Blue

PostSubject: Re: Thick as Thieves   Thick as Thieves - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 5:25 pm

“I take them from the dead.”

"You what?" Volpe suddenly jerked his head in her direction, eyes wide with shock. Take them from the dead? That was practically blasphemy to his kind. Even Volpe couldn't say he would be okay with someone taking his mask in death. He growled low to himself, not sure what to think of it and troubled by the thought some of his fur down his spine was rising slightly, giving away how unsettled by the information he was.

“I travel, everywhere. If I find a body, I’ll take the mask. The next village, town, or city, I’ll find the masking elder and give it to them. What they do with them is none of my concern.” She snapped. “As to why I do it, is none of your business.”

"What of their spirits, their souls? You said yourself, it what makes a Shinlai. It's our culture. What of their families?" Volpe raised his chin as well, stubborn in his thinking. "It's not my business? It's my kind. Why do you do it?" He repeated.
Back to top Go down
Forrgotenrose
Admin
Forrgotenrose

PostSubject: Re: Thick as Thieves   Thick as Thieves - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 5:44 pm

"You what?" He said, jerking her head round to look at her. He was shocked clearly. Growling to himself and fur raising.

Iapto shunted herself to her feet, grabbing the two masks, and started pacing back and forth between trees.

"What of their spirits, their souls? You said yourself, it what makes a Shinlai. It's our culture. What of their families? It's not my business? It's my kind. Why do you do it?" He repeated.

Iapto whirled to face him. “I take it back to their families.” She shouted at him. “I return it to their makers. I make sure the masks of your kind don’t fall into the wrong hands.” She snapped taking a step towards him. “You have any idea how much they’d be worth on the black market? Most would just sell them on, but I don’t, I might be a thief but I have a sense of decency to give their families some shred of peace.” She snarled, falling silent and staring at him, chest heaving from her outburst.

“I haven’t even told my dad, my sister, or my friends why I do it. So why. Should I. Tell you?” She said, the anger gone from her voice, a strange empty tone taking its place.

She stared at him, feeling her annoyance give way to blankness, making her feel cold and void of emotion. She was overwhelmingly tempted just to turn and walk away, but she would have to gather her things and get the deer skin before she left.
Back to top Go down
Blue
Friend of Adlai
Blue

PostSubject: Re: Thick as Thieves   Thick as Thieves - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 22, 2011 1:59 pm

Iapto began pacing angrily, and Volpe noticed her feet falling heavier than usual with frustration. Volpe got to his feet as well, standing to his full height. He stood almost two feet taller than Iapto- which wasn't that tall for a Shinlai- although he still wasn't full grown.

“I take it back to their families. I return it to their makers. I make sure the masks of your kind don’t fall into the wrong hands.”

Volpe was surprised at her sudden outburst. It was unlike her, from what little he knew of her, to suddenly snap like she did. She took a step towards him and he reflexively took a step back. She was practically snarling at him and despite himself Volpe flinched under her fury.

“You have any idea how much they’d be worth on the black market? Most would just sell them on, but I don’t, I might be a thief but I have a sense of decency to give their families some shred of peace.”

The black market? Who would care to buy a Shinlai mask? Why were they as valued as she said? "I never said you had no decency," Volpe said under his breath, suddenly... ashamed. He had every reason to think Iapto stole the masks for some sort of self-gain.

“I haven’t even told my dad, my sister, or my friends why I do it. So why. Should I. Tell you?”

"Perhaps because you don't know me." Volpe sighed and lay back down, his fur lay flat, and the threat he felt had ebbed away. "Maybe because you don't know me at all and I'm someone to tell." Was he really suggesting she tell him what she told no one else? This two-faced, double-crossing fox? "Contrary to what you must think, I am able to keep secrets. I have the same kind of secrets to keep. Secrets I've never told a soul. And never will." He murmured the last part under his breath, to himself more than to Iapto.
Back to top Go down
Forrgotenrose
Admin
Forrgotenrose

PostSubject: Re: Thick as Thieves   Thick as Thieves - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 22, 2011 3:42 pm

"Perhaps because you don't know me. Maybe because you don't know me at all and I'm someone to tell." He said, laying down, his fur flat. Iapto faltered, staring at him. "Contrary to what you must think, I am able to keep secrets. I have the same kind of secrets to keep. Secrets I've never told a soul. And never will." He muttered quietly.

She blinked. Half confused, half taken aback by his suggestion. “Uh-I, what?” She stumbled over her words. She sat down with a bump. Part of her wanted to tell him. The other half of her was screaming not to. She put her head in her hands, and groaned quietly.

She gave a weak laugh. “I don’t know...” She said slowly. “Like I said, I’ve told no one. It’s my little secret.” She mused quietly. She tossed one of the masks next to Volpe’s paw. “Meats burning.” She added.

((sort awkward post is short))
Back to top Go down
Blue
Friend of Adlai
Blue

PostSubject: Re: Thick as Thieves   Thick as Thieves - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 23, 2011 12:03 am

“Uh-I, what?”

Volpe almost laughed at her surprise, but bit his tongue, deciding it was probably best not to. He cocked his head when he heard her groan. He wouldn't have thought that such a strong, self-assured, and annoyingly blunt girl would have too much trouble deciding what to do.

“I don’t know... Like I said, I’ve told no one. It’s my little secret.”

"So guess." A ghost of a smile played on Volpe's mouth. "Why not? Not telling, simply because you haven't before, is a terrible reason." He heard a soft thud next to his paws, and swept the thing closer. It was a mask, as he was rather surprised to find. He held it still with one paw and gently ran his hand over the mask with the other. It was fairly small, as far as masks go. It had two pairs of holes in it, and one small pair for the dalian. He gently traced some of the curves of the mask. It had been carved to fit every curve of the Lai's face. It must have been either very comfortable, like a second skin, or incredibly uncomfortable. Volpe frowned as he felt along the back of the mask. There were two, segmented horns off the back. Perhaps the Shinlai wearing it had broken his at some point during his life?

Volpe let the mask rest between his paws, one paw still feeling the texture and grain of the wood that was beautifully carved. "Why not a trade? A secret of yours for a secret of mine." He looked up from the mask, "We'll not utter a word of it to another soul."

(No problem :) )
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Thick as Thieves   Thick as Thieves - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Thick as Thieves
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next